Ask the Veterinarian/Lump on my dog after two surgeries

Question
Front view
Front view  

Side view
Side view  
Short version is in July my dachshund mix had surgery to remove a lump. I was told it was a grade 2 mast cell tumor. In October right at the end of his scar a lump appeared. The vet did an aspiration where I was told it had mast cells. I went to my normal vet for a second opinion who did not think it was a mast cell tumor. By February the lump had grown so we decided to remove it. The surgery was done and I was told there was no tumor but necrosis tissue that they were basically scooping out. The test came back and it basically said it was because of the previous surgery. After a month the lump hadn't gone down and felt warm to the touch. Back to the vet and blood work came back normal and I was told it was stretched skin and basically they did all they could and I would have to see a specialist. Now the lump is still warm and even bigger. It is on his side but so big his leg hits it and he can no longer run and play. What is wrong with my dog? Thanks for any help.

Answer
Dear Patrica,
Mast cell tumor can be classified into three grades,ie
Grade I: Occur in the skin and are considered benign. Although they may be large and difficult to remove, they tend to not spread to other areas of the body. Most mast cell tumors are Grade I.
Grade II: Extend below the skin into the subcutaneous tissues. Their cells show some characteristics of malignancy and their response to treatment can be unpredictable.
Grade III: Invade areas deep below the skin, are very aggressive, and require more involved treatment.

I think, if at all your your pet is suffering from mast cell tumor, it could be Grade II or III.
So the chances of recurrence and new lesions are quite high.
As this being a surgical case, there are limitations for me to proceed further.There are some holistic approaches for treatment of Mast cell tumor,which can be tried after treatment.You can find details of these in the web.

Hope the above information helps.

regards

anand

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand