Ask the Veterinarian/bald spot

my female longhair damestic has been losing her hair for a couple of months now stadry skinrted out a hand full now.  i've been using coconut oil for a couple of wks now it has lessened the amount of fur she was getting off her skin at first looked like diry skin, i noticed fri that her bald spots has black spots on it her bald spot goes from one hip to the other and her lower back no where else

There are many reasons for a cat to lose fur.  Sometimes it is from an oil deficiency, sometimes it is from abrasion, some cats with allergies will chew off their hair and sometimes it is from a ringworm infection.  Your vet needs to check the cat to see if it is ringworm.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf

Dermatology and ear diseases of dogs and cats

I am the author of "Small Animal Ear Diseases; An Illustrated Guide" published by W.B. Saunders. I have over 25 years of clinical experience with a special interest in dermatologic conditions and ear diseases.

American Academy of Veterinary Dermatology

Veterinary Forum
Veterinary Medicine
Waltham Focus