Ask the Veterinarian/My Bischon Frisse

Question
Could you please tell me what alegises Bischons normally suffer from.

Many thanks

Answer
Hi Rita,
That would be quite impossible to do as every dog, just like every human, is unique and different. What might affect one dog won't affect the dog sitting next to her.

Dogs can suffer from many allergies. Some of them but in no way inclusive are the following:

True food allergies- beef, wheat, soy, chicken, pork, preservatives are common ones. There are more.

Inhalant allergies- every type of pollen that you can think of and more-dust mites, etc.

Skin allergic reactions to fleas (FAD or Flea Allergy Dermatitis), soaps, shampoos, rug fibers, grass, dirt, and more.

So as you can see, there are thousands of things a dog can have an allergic reaction to.
Your best bet is to take your dog into the vet clinic and have the vet give him/her a good exam and determine if you are dealing with allergies or some other problem. Many skin diseases look the same as allergic reactions, so you really need a veterinarian look over your dog.

You can have the dog tested as well for inhalant allergies. It's pretty close to what human testing is like.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT