You are here:

Ask the Veterinarian/My Bischon Frisse


Could you please tell me what alegises Bischons normally suffer from.

Many thanks

Hi Rita,
That would be quite impossible to do as every dog, just like every human, is unique and different. What might affect one dog won't affect the dog sitting next to her.

Dogs can suffer from many allergies. Some of them but in no way inclusive are the following:

True food allergies- beef, wheat, soy, chicken, pork, preservatives are common ones. There are more.

Inhalant allergies- every type of pollen that you can think of and more-dust mites, etc.

Skin allergic reactions to fleas (FAD or Flea Allergy Dermatitis), soaps, shampoos, rug fibers, grass, dirt, and more.

So as you can see, there are thousands of things a dog can have an allergic reaction to.
Your best bet is to take your dog into the vet clinic and have the vet give him/her a good exam and determine if you are dealing with allergies or some other problem. Many skin diseases look the same as allergic reactions, so you really need a veterinarian look over your dog.

You can have the dog tested as well for inhalant allergies. It's pretty close to what human testing is like.  

Ask the Veterinarian

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jana Connell RVT, CVT


PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!


I have over 42 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love. I also Teach Veterinary Technology to working technicians who are studying to take their California Tests to become Licensed Technicians. They have to take both the VTNE (Veterinary Technician National Exam) and the California boards.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.


Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 1500 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Awards and Honors
Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.

©2017 All rights reserved.