Ask the Veterinarian/Breading Yorkies

Question
Dr. Anand,

Thank you for you're time, and answering my question. I have a male and female yorkie. The male is 4 pound, and 4 years old. The female is 2 and a half years old and weighs just 2 pounds. I was thinking about breading them one time, but I am not sure if my female is too small. She is my pet and I love her,  so her heslth and welfare are very important to me. Would you please advice me if she is too small to bread Doctor Ansnd in your opion sir? Thank you kindly for your time.

Donna

Answer
Hello Donna,

As this breed is so small, when a female is going to be bred, she should weigh more than the male. This is important in aiding the female  to deliver normally. The male should be under 4 pounds  or 4 pounds maximum.

The male's parents should be between 4 and 5 pounds. This will give the female  a better chance of being able to have her puppies naturally.If not,there is a greater chance that the female will need to have a cesarean section.
The female  should be between 5 and 7 pounds, with 7 the desired size.It is recommended that a female is bred after her 2nd heat and before she is 5 years old.

Hope this information helps in planning the breeding programme.

regards

anand

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand