Ask the Veterinarian/My dog Patches

Question
QUESTION: I took my dog on a trip with my family into the country to see my grandparents, they wont outdoor cats. Patches (Shih Tzu, 9lbs, 6mo 5 days old) had been eating bones he found in the yard (left behind by the cats im guessing ) and began to vomit (Monday afternoon ) so i just gave him water and had him lay inside. When i went to check on him i noticed he had fleas now ( from cats) but was still playful amd happy. We drove back home that night approx 3 hours. I gave him a small bowl of water about half way home and he drank in and laid back in the car and slept. When we arrived home i tried to feed him approx 11pm,  he only took to bites  and was vomiting 10 mins later. After i had cleaned it up he began again so i called an emergency animal hospital, and brought him the 12am. They said he was still alert so come back if he gets worse. Hecslept through the night . 8am (tuesday)  took him to the vet, they kept him overnight for observation and said he began to drink but no food was given. They gave him a Cerenia Inj, Rabies Vaccine,  DHLPP-FINAL, and Bordetella treatment. Wednesday morning i picked him up; Patches went straight to sleep and has been walking very limited and will not drink or eat anything. At approximately 6pm he vomited twice more a yellow fluid. What is wrong with my puppy please help us!

ANSWER: Your puppy needs an xray or an ultrasound to see of he has a blockage from those bones. Bones can be deadly to dogs.

Take him in tomorrow and get him xrayed. He may have what's called a "foreign body obstruction" or he may just have an acute case of pancreatitis, but in either case he needs to see a vet right away.

He is probably walking that way because he is in pain. Dog's don't like to move much when they are in pain.
Please get him in to the vets first thing in the morning and insist on some diagnostic imaging of some sort, either xrays or an ultrasound.

Please let me know how he does.

QUESTION: They said he has a blockage in his intestine. And he will either need an $8000 surgery or to be put done.... I'm heartbroken because I don't have $8,000. Is there anyway to help him pass it ?

Answer
Cena, run, don't walk, to your nearest other veterinarian! Call every vet in a 30 mile radius and tell them you need help and ask what they would charge for this surgery.

Not everyone charges such an outrageous amount. We don't even do that here in California!
Call every vet then call everyone on this list to help you with the cost:

http://www.dogheirs.com/dogheirs/posts/6603-resources-to-turn-to-if-you-are-havi

Call your local Humane Society as well, they often have funds for such a emergency.

You cannot help him pass this at home. He is at great risk of intestinal perforation from the bones/mass and that will for sure do him in.

Be PROACTIVE and CALL everyone that might be able to help you but start with all the VETS!! Use the phone book and the internet.

Let me know how things go. I will be praying for your sweet Patches.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT