Ask the Veterinarian/Male cat problems

Question
My 1 year old cat called Fluffy (male) was neutered last week, so we got a female kitten called Ginger who is 9 weeks old.

To start with we just thought he was trying to pick her up. because when I pick her up she squeals and he nips my arm gently to put her down then bites her neck, but we've recently seen he tensing up on her and trying to hump her.

When he does this straight away we put him in a different room. To show him what he is doing is bad. we have also tried a can of coins but it doesn't put him off.

I would be thankful for any advice

Take care

Zoe x

Answer
Since you neutered him rather late, he has already gotten the urge to mate and it is spring/summer which is when they become more hormone riddled and want to seek out mates.

So what you are doing is fine, removing him from the situation, until his sense of mating has diminished.

Do not punish him, yell at or hit him, as what he is doing is normal and he will not understand.

This should slack off after a few weeks. The hormones are gone once his testicles are removed, but their are some circulating in his bloodstream and these will lessen as the weeks go by.

He might also be showing her dominance because you introduced them very quickly, without giving them time to get to know each others smell through doors etc.

Kittens should always be introduced slowly and carefully to older cats in the house:
http://www.petplace.com/article/cats/behavior-training/understanding-your-cat/in

http://www.petplace.com/article/cats/behavior-training/normal-behavior/pet-to-pe

Take some time and read these, they will be very helpful for you.

Have fun with your new kitty!

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT