Ask the Veterinarian/wet dog

I have a 12 year old Shitsu/Yorke that weighs about 13lbs.  Lately when he gets dirty from walks I bath him letting he stand in the shampoo about 5 minutes to kill anything on him, then rinse and dry him with a towel.  He rolls around on the rug but I noticed the next day he is still damp.  But lately the next day he is in a great deal of pain and very stiff.  I get very worried about him but a day later he seems fine.  Do you think using a blow dryer will help or is there something i can give him like Aspirin to help him?

I would stay away from aspirin.  It is too hard on their intestines and stomach.  THere is a dug I like called Previcox that is very good for aches and stiffness with almost no side effects.  Ask your vet if your dog can try some for a week to see if it helps.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf

Dermatology and ear diseases of dogs and cats

I am the author of "Small Animal Ear Diseases; An Illustrated Guide" published by W.B. Saunders. I have over 25 years of clinical experience with a special interest in dermatologic conditions and ear diseases.

American Academy of Veterinary Dermatology

Veterinary Forum
Veterinary Medicine
Waltham Focus