Ask the Veterinarian/Camel getting weeker by the day

Question
Hello Dr Anand,

I am from UAE.My question is regarding one of my very valuable camel which was treated by two private doctors for urinary tract infection. Even after very long treatments with terramycin and gentamycin to control gram negative bacteria,found by lab test, the camel is still ailing and going down in condition.Now I can see the face of the animal becoming puffy and in the body also.They used phenylbutasone for temperature and lasix for the puffiness.But still the camel is very week and has stopped taking feed.What could be wrong,please help me.Thanks in advance

Answer
Hello Ahmed,
I would tell you that there is a whole lot of veterinary medicines that should not be used in camels.One of the very important organ in camels are the kidneys,since it recycles lot of water with in the body to preserve water so as to counter the harsh desert climates.In this instance all medicines you mentioned should have been avoided in camels since they are nephrotoxic.Already the generalized  edema or the puffiness you said is because of renal damage.
Please see that all the four medicines ie gentamycin,terramycin,lasix and phenylbutasone should never be used again.At this stage it may require cortisones to treat renal damage and the physiological  edema shall be controlled using Thiamine injection. Antibiotics such as Amoxicillin and Clavulanic Acid should give good results.Long term therapy is advised

regards and best of luck  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand