Ask the Veterinarian/Cat fell ill- improving but still wont eat

Question
My 7 yr old male longhaired cat abruptly fell ill 3 days ago (this was Sun. morning- it is now Wednesday). He went into hiding and would not eat or drink. He was also very lethargic and did not want to be bothered (he is usually very very social). He was also throwing up bile every time he tried to drink something.

On monday, we were going to take him to the clinic after I noticed he had not gone to the bathroom since the prior afternoon, but he ended up coming out o hiding to say hello. He drank a fairly normal amount of water & and urinated. He stuck around to get loves for a few minutes, but then retreating to the bathtub. I imagine he went there for convenience (water & litter in the same place), a little peace & quiet (I have 2 young kids), and to beat a fever.

We elected not to take him to his appt. because he seemed to be improving & I didn't want to put him through the stress unless it was absolutely necessary (the vet is sort of long drive).

Since then, he has been coming out of hiding more often & sticking around longer. He's typically falling to the loor & exposing his belly whenever we pet him. However, he is still hiding regularly (not like him at all). I believe he had a fever on Monday evening (his ears were warm), but there has been no sign o that since. He is still drinking & urinating (he defecated once too), but he won't eat. I've given him wet food, but he just licks the gravy- no solids. He is still lethargic. I was satisfied with the gravy consumption temporarily because I figure he's still getting a little something from it, and I know sometimes these things resolve themselves in time. He seems to be getting better little by little, but I won't relax until he's eating & acting normal again.

How urgent do you think the situation is? Should I continue to look for improvements or a few more days or take him in? I should add that he has a history oMy 7 yr old cat abruptly fell ill 3 days ago (this was Sun. morning- it is now Wednesday). He went into hiding and would not eat or drink. He was also very lethargic and did not want to be bothered (he is usually very very social). He was also throwing up bile every time he tried to drink something.

How urgent do you think the situation is? Should I continue to look for improvements or a few more days or take him in? I should add that he has a history of pica.

Answer
Hello Jess,
This episode could be due to an infection and may be he is slowly recovering from this.But the history of pica is a bit worrying.Because all this could have been due to foreign body ingestion which can bring about same sort of symptoms.The foreign body could be solid material which may be moving slowly through the intestines and is likely to cause an intestinal obstruction or not.The other possibility can be any chemicals that would have caused a toxicity,probably liver.
Hence I would suggest a vet consultation ASAP,so as to rule out these possibilities.
Regards
Anand

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand