Ask the Veterinarian/Fly larvae in * fresh*dog feces

Question
Maggots poop
Maggots poop  

#2
#2  
Okay so. I just let the dog out of her kennel when I returned home from work today...I out some clothes in the wash and she pooped in my living room! She's never made an accident ever. I've had her for three years now. Anyways, as I started to pick it up, I seen maggots in her poop. Not worms: maggots, dead. Not moving. How in the world did she poop them out; and then I justgot rid of it. So later I'd say 20 mins. She popped again in the same spot, again maggots. A lot of say 15 of them. Still dead. Now what in the world......I know what worms look like and this is straight up fly larvae!!!! No one believes me. So I took a picture. And still they say it's just worms; it's impossible for a dog to poop out maggots unless it's been sitting and a fly lands on it. What do I do? Why is she popping them out

Answer
Hi Renae britton,

Okay.It is a bit bizarre.But I will believe you though I have not seen such a thing myself.
A few possibilities are there like environmental contamination,anal gland infections,eggs/larvae ingested through contaminated food source.Ask your vet for an anal gland examination per rectum.
Check  the food packet,flies can lay eggs if it is kept open.To be safe, you can discard that packet too.
Try  Capstar. It can be very helpful with killing maggots.

regards and good luck

anand  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand