Ask the Veterinarian/HEMATOMA

My mother age 91 has avery small CHIHUAHUA with a hematoma on right ear. Has gone from just the tip to the entire ear in 9 days. I have read that it is OK to let it heal on its own, however my mother is very concerned and would be hard on her if dog this possible ? She does not have the money to take to VET and would like to know ASAP if there is anything she/we can do for the dog ? Please advise.Thanks-LT.

Hematomas in the ear flap require surgery to drain and fix them otherwise the ear will heal crinkled.  Sometimes this deformed ear can block the ear canal.  Hematomas usually result from an ear infection, so the infection needs to be treated.  Without going to the vet, there is not much you can do to treat these at home.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf

Dermatology and ear diseases of dogs and cats

I am the author of "Small Animal Ear Diseases; An Illustrated Guide" published by W.B. Saunders. I have over 25 years of clinical experience with a special interest in dermatologic conditions and ear diseases.

American Academy of Veterinary Dermatology

Veterinary Forum
Veterinary Medicine
Waltham Focus