Ask the Veterinarian/HEMATOMA

Question
My mother age 91 has avery small CHIHUAHUA with a hematoma on right ear. Has gone from just the tip to the entire ear in 9 days. I have read that it is OK to let it heal on its own, however my mother is very concerned and would be hard on her if dog died..is this possible ? She does not have the money to take to VET and would like to know ASAP if there is anything she/we can do for the dog ? Please advise.Thanks-LT.

Answer
Hematomas in the ear flap require surgery to drain and fix them otherwise the ear will heal crinkled.  Sometimes this deformed ear can block the ear canal.  Hematomas usually result from an ear infection, so the infection needs to be treated.  Without going to the vet, there is not much you can do to treat these at home.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf