Ask the Veterinarian/Mucus in stool

Hello Doctor,

I have a male pug who is 5 months old. His shots are up to date and he was dewormed at vets 2 months ago.
This morning he had a solid stool with mucus surrounding it. It was not bloody at all, just slimey and brownish in colour. Now this evening he had diarrhea, it was not liquidity, just looked like a flat light brown clump of loose stool. Then after the episode of diarrhea he kept picking spots and trying to go, I checked every time he tried to go again, but there was no poop on the ground. I do not see any parasite in his stools. He has been eating and drinking, has been alert and playful/responsive. I have given him the odd cracker or chip and it seems to not effect him, and I do try to watch and make sure he doesn't get into anything. Do you know what could be the cause of this?Why would he go from a solid stool to diarrhea in the same day? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks so much.

Hello Hayley,
The main probability in this case would be Protozoon infections like giardiasis,amoebiasis or coccidiosis.Chances for bacterial,vifsl infections/worm infestations also cannot be ruled out.There are many other reasons also. Laboratory investigation can be useful to find the actual cause.

It is often recommended that you avoid giving your dog any food for 12-24 hours while he’s experiencing diarrhea, but do provide plenty of fresh, clean water to stave off dehydration.
Take your dog to the vet if his diarrhea continues for more than a day, or if you observe lethargy, vomiting, fever, dark-colored or bloody stools, straining to defecate, decreased appetite or unexplained weight loss.

However, if your dog has mild diarrhea and doesn’t meet any of the above criteria, the best things to start with are a 24-hour rice-water fast; white rice balls that contain active probiotic cultures; and the oral administration of an intestinal protectant such as kaolin clay and pectin (KaoPectate™) or a suspension containing bismuth subsalicylate (PeptoBismol™). Loperamide (Imodium™) can be given if the diarrhea doesn’t resolve easily, and don’t use it for more than five days.

Probiotics—living bacterial cultures intended to assist the body’s naturally occurring gut flora in reestablishing themselves—may also help speed recovery. These live microorganisms are found in yogurt, for example, and are also available from your health food store or your veterinarian as high-potency powdered acidophilus cultures, which are more effective than yogurt for diarrhea. Mix these cultures into the rice water that you are serving your pet during its fast.

Hope this information helps.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand

Large and Small Animal Medicine and Surgery, Farm Management,Preventive medicine

A Senior Veterinary Surgeon with more than 25 years’ experience in the field of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry. Mixed animal Practice that will utilize my skills in medicine and surgery, public health, client relations, and developing relationships within the community, such as humane society

Veterinary Consultant with Department of Animal Resources,Ministry of Environment,State of Qatar (Present). Animal Husbandry Department, Government of Kerala, India. Oakland's Park, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom. Severnside Veterinary Center, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom. Saud Bahwan Group, Sultanate of Oman. Trivandrum Regional Co-operative Milk Producers Union,Kerala,India.

BVSc & AH (Bachelor of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry) 1990. College of Veterinary & Animal Sciences, Mannuthy, Thrissur, Kerala, India under Kerala Agricultural University. Certificates Of Accomplishments- Equine Nutrition- University of Edinburgh Principles of Public Health-University of California, Irvine. AIDS- Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia. General Environmental Health – EPHOC-Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine and the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Public Health. Food Protection-EPHOC-Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine and the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Public Health. Zoonoses:University of Minnesota-School of Public Health online. Food Safety:University of Minnesota-School of Public Health online. Occupational Safety and Health-EPHOC-Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine and the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Public Health. Rabies Educator Certified -Global Alliance for Rabies Control. Animal Handler & Vaccinator Educator Certified -Global Alliance for Rabies Control. Wildlife Conservation-United for Wildlife