Ask the Veterinarian/possible acid reflux

Question
Hi there. I think my dog may have acid reflux. Hes 15 year old and recently on and off after a drink he will burp and it comes up. Sometimes little amounts sometimes alot. We give him water little and often but anytime we think hes fine and give him a bigger drink. Sometimes it will come back up. I am going to take him to my vet but does a pepto bismo help reduce acidity in a dog. He still eats and acts more than fine for his age. Im thinking of changing his diet to low fat as that helps reduce acidity. Thats all i can think hes got. He got his boosters in april and vet felt everywhere in his stomach, checked heart and lungs and hes in perfect condition. Just this little setback. Do you think it could be acid reflux and if so is it easily treated.
Thanks in advance
Lyndsey

Answer
Hello lyndsey,

A veterinary examination needs to be done to find out the actual reason.But to me it  seems like regurgitating rather than vomiting.If it's so,this could be symptoms of megaesophagus.Megaesophagus is a condition where the esophagus is dilated and has weak muscles. Liquids may sit in it and be passively regurgitated back up. Solids, being heavier, use gravity to pull them down into the stomach.
Megaesophagus can be secondary to nerve damage from pulling on the collar/leash too much as well as nerve damage from a foreign body in the esophagus, it can also be due to a low functioning adrenal gland (addison's disease) or a condition called Dysautonomia.
Radiography after Barium meal can be used for diagnosis.

More on this condition available at  http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_megaesophagus.html

wish you good luck

regards

anand

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand