Ask the Veterinarian/Shaking ears and teeth

Hi! My 13 yr. old mini dachshund just had her teeth cleaned. They were very bad and she had an infection. She has been shaking her ears a lot even prior to the cleaning. Today she shook her ears and let out a small cry. The Dr. gave me antibiotics and it has been 4 days since the cleaning. I am very worried!

It is not uncommon for dogs with dental problems in their molar teeth to have referred pain up into the ears.  If there is no ear infection, then that is most likely the cause.  Often the narcotic pain relievers will help until the holes where the teeth were pulled have healed up and the infection subsides.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf

Dermatology and ear diseases of dogs and cats

I am the author of "Small Animal Ear Diseases; An Illustrated Guide" published by W.B. Saunders. I have over 25 years of clinical experience with a special interest in dermatologic conditions and ear diseases.

American Academy of Veterinary Dermatology

Veterinary Forum
Veterinary Medicine
Waltham Focus