Ask the Veterinarian/Shaking ears and teeth

Question
Hi! My 13 yr. old mini dachshund just had her teeth cleaned. They were very bad and she had an infection. She has been shaking her ears a lot even prior to the cleaning. Today she shook her ears and let out a small cry. The Dr. gave me antibiotics and it has been 4 days since the cleaning. I am very worried!

Answer
It is not uncommon for dogs with dental problems in their molar teeth to have referred pain up into the ears.  If there is no ear infection, then that is most likely the cause.  Often the narcotic pain relievers will help until the holes where the teeth were pulled have healed up and the infection subsides.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf