Ask the Veterinarian/Sore on my dog's tongue.

Question
My three year old German Shepherd just gave birth to her first litter of puppies 12 days ago.  Both puppies are healthy and thriving and mommy is also doing well; eating and going to the bathroom normally.  A day or two after giving birth I noticed a small flat red sore about the size of a pea on the surface of mommy dog's tongue.  I thought she maybe just bit her tongue accidently while playing with her toy.  But, it has been 10 days now and the sore is still there; not getting any worse but not appearing to get any better either.  Any ideas of what this may be.  I am hesitant to take her into the Vet since she is feeding the puppies very frequently throughout the day and I don" want any germs to be passed along from mommy coming into contact with any other dogs at the Vet's office.  Any suggestions or thoughts you may have would be appreciated.
Tammy

Answer
Hi tammy,

A probability is that this could be associated with Riboflavin deficiency.For the time you can try supplementing Vitamin B Complex.But having said that, ulceration can also occur as a result of systemic diseases involving the kidneys or even cancer. Ulcerations also develop in a strange, mysterious disease called eosinophilic stomatitis and due to a variety of infectious or non infectious causes.Hence long standing cases needs to be addressed medically as soon as possible.
regards

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand