Ask the Veterinarian/WILD kITE

Injured Wing
Injured Wing  
Injured Head
Injured Head  
We have an injured kite in our lawn these days. yesterday we applied turmeric powder mixed in mustard oil on its wing .I have a feeling that this kite won't be able to fly again.If i keep it as pet what are the challenges that i may face ? Also how to approach it when it is freely sitting in lawn. Right now it can not even fly one feet high.Its been almost a week that she is in our lawn and we finally decided to approach her.Only yesterday she was in our cage. And we feed her some meat.

Additional info

Today she beat a crow badly in lawn.
Now she is sitting upright and straight which is a bit of improvement.

ANSWER: Hi Mahreen,

I do not know what the laws are in Pakistan but over here in the USA is it a huge fine to keep any raptor as a pet. The fine is $10,000.

If there is no law there like that, good, but you really must contact a falconer over there and talk to them about treating her.

Her wing doesn't look that bad, but I am not there and cannot touch it.
I will tell you this, however, she MUST be in MUCH LARGER cage than that or she will beat all the feathers off her wings and tail and break and shatter them.

Also remember that these are wild animals, not pets, and cannot usually be tamed once they are adults, unless you train them as a hunting falcon. Thus I URGE you to get in contact with a master falconer or a Rehab center where you live to help you with her.

This looks like a Black Kite, native to your country. Very beautiful!

You also MUST feed her meat with bones and fur if possible, or she will get a sour crop and die.

Another to consider is that she looks like a juvenile of whatever breed of Kite that she is.

Please contact a local Master falconer as soon as you can!!!!

I just found this on Facebook:

Please contact them!!

QUESTION: Thankx for shearing link.And all ur good advice.kite is intelligent bird she know how people can protect her though she z free but last night it spent sitting near security guard.We will takecare of her till she z good on its own.
I have on more question for you sir.
I have two alexandrian parrots. Can you tell what this pose or gesture of parrot in pic means?
And thankx for being here on this site.

Hi Mahreen,

Unfortunately I don't know much about parrots or birds that people keep as pets.
I only know information about raptors as I have studied them for decades.

There are bird experts on here, just look under Ask an Expert.
Well I looked under parrots but can't find an expert, however there is a veterinarian here on board from Qtar that might be able to help you.

He is under "Ask the Veterinarian" where you found me. Good Luck Mahreen.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.