Ask the Veterinarian/Anal sphincter control

Question
Hey there!

This isn't an emergency, at least I don't think it is, and I was wondering what you'd think or if you'd recommend something. My black lab, Raleigh, I think he's around 10-11 months, seems to not have control of his anal sphincter when he's asleep. I first noticed a strange smell coming from him when he was a few months old whenever he slept, it didn't smell like feces, but almost had a fishy smell. Sometimes when he got up there would be a wet patch where he was. I had suspicion that it was coming from his anus, and it wasn't until last night that that was confirmed. I was at my desk, he was on my bed, and I noticed the smell was extremely strong, so I turned to look and his anus was wide open. As in open like there was an imaginary poo coming out. I tapped his hip,thinking it would... Close. But it wasn't until he woke up that it went back to normal. I've only smelled that smell when he's sleeping, so I only think it occurs when he's unconscious. I've heard this could happen to older dogs, but not puppies. He has never defecated in his sleep. What do you think? Is this something I should be concerned about? Would you suggest I take him to the vet? I'm not quite sure what they could do...

Anyway, thanks for reading! Hope to hear from you soon!
Taylor & Raleigh

Answer
If he is still having the same issue at 11 months old that he had as a young pup then I would take him in for a check up.

What you are describing isn't unusual but I would be concerned as he got older that it might become a problem.

He may just be a very relaxed sleeper, but again, I would at least speak to your vet about this issue.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT