Ask the Veterinarian/Hamsters eye is swollen red and crusty

Question
Hamsters
Hamsters  
Hi Dr. S Bindu my name is Alana gill and something is very wrong with my hamster. My hamster isn't even a year old and just lat night before I went to bed I checked on him and both his eyes were crusted shut and I rubbed them with a warm q tip and both eyes opened but one of he eyes was red swollen and I just went to the pharmacy to pick up eye drops called Similasan and I just applied it to the effected eye. I also noticed today that he is larthegic like when I touch him he doesn't move and when I put him on my bed it just lays there. please help me thanks

Answer
Hi Alana,

I would recommend you to see a vet as things can deteorate quickly in case of hamsters.It's possible for an eye to swell shut because of an infection behind the eyeball or other pathological conditions.

Another reason is that hamsters can develop allergies to their bedding. Usually paper based beddings do not cause allergies. Also see that the cage is properly cleaned.Too much accumulation of uric acid waste inside can cause eye itrritations and subsequent infections.

You may try preservative free saline solution to clean the eyes.Gently clean the eye with a warm wet cloth and put a few drops of saline on the swollen eye, and the hamster will use the paws to try to clean it off.  Some of the solution will get into the eye. Use it several times a day. Keep your hamster's room dim. Bright light will hurt her eye.

As you said that the hamster is lethargic,we will have to rule out any systemic involvement.If the animal is not feeding, take veterinary aid immediately.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand