Ask the Veterinarian/Miniature Schnauzer Possibly Poisoned?

Question
My 10 lb. female Miniature Schnauzer age 4 was fine an hour ago. We were outside, she was chewing on a plant then she threw up. 20 minutes later she is lethargic and drinking a lot of water and whimpering softly in pain every breath. To my knowledge this is not a poison plant but my husband was out spraying ant spray yesterday. I'm afraid it may have drifted onto these or something. I gave her a Pepto. What do I do?

Answer
This could be a Pyrithrin/Pyrithroid toxicity.Please do check the contents in the Ant spray.Most pets recover from pyrethrin intoxication within 24-48 hours,but recovery from pyrethroids may take longer.Actually there is no specific treatment avilable.Vomitting is good that it will expel some of the toxins.Symptomatic treatment including induction of vomitting,gastric lavage and atropine injection can be tried in consultation with your vet. If no improvement is seen within 24 hours of treatment, the pet should be reevaluated.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand