Ask the Veterinarian/parrots

Question
QUESTION: Hello Dr
I have recently adopted a ring neck parrot from my fathers friend. The just wanted to get rid of it as it has developed problem of plucking his feathers.Kidly guide me how to remove his this habbit.

ANSWER: Hi Mahreen,

The major medical causes for feather plucking include changes in hormone levels, external and internal parasites, malnutrition, internal disease, and bacterial or fungal infections of the skin and/or feather follicles. You should rule out these possibilities first.

The non-medical causes are psychological and/or stress related. This could be of importance in your parrot's case as there is change in environment.Feather picking may also result when a bird is housed near other birds.Moving this individual out of sight and beyond hearing from the others may reduce the level of stress experienced by the bird and the severity of its feather picking.

QUESTION: My parrot who is feather plucking id indian ring neck parrot.It was housed with female alexandrian parrot. According to previous owner.the male ring neck has pulled out tail feathers of  female and the female has plucked out the feathers of ring neck male.When we brought them home we seperated their cage. So they  fight . The alexandrian had dih  as well now it is under control if not 100% removed.we but her in sun light and gave her medicine.
Her tail is completely missing. Will it grow back ?After seperating both we have found no fallen feather in her cage.
Ring neck in new and seperate cage started takling it was few minutes after entering our house. So we thought him to be happy being in our home.he has almost no feather under his wing and on abdomen.  been two days they both are in our
its house.
Additional info
we have at home two alexandrian , one is our own female of 5 to 6 months. The tail less is 2 year old. Our female also look at ring neck in wonder then attack. So she has been put away from her. We  have cockatiel also he.care for alexandian even when she can be mean with him and can attack him. So cage is seperate but near each other.
Yesterday we let ring neck out and he likes talk to cell phone. He dont mind moving here and there when let out. After we put him back feather plucking seemed almost ended. But I am not sure if it is ended or not. His body is in no shape to fly. And it seems he is habitual of walking anywhere he likes which trouble us. So we may keep him in cage most time.

Kindly tell me do we still need to isolated ring neck in darkness ? For how long? How close all these birds should be to each other?

And thankx for previous answer . U have been genious in guessing the circumstances bird is in.
Regards

ANSWER: I think Behavioral Enrichment for Parrots will be the best solution for you after hearing your history.
The concept of behavioral enrichment encompasses a number of techniques designed to encourage a captive animal to live, for lack of a better word, a “fuller” life.  This is done  by exploiting natural behaviors in a way that encourages the animal to stretch its mind and body by exploring, exercising, hunting, trying new foods and so on – activities outside of the basic necessities of captive life.

You may go through this activity book and I am sure you will find results with patience.

All the best.

http://www.phoenixlanding.org/PEAB_V2.pdf

QUESTION: One last thing. We all start sneezing when we go near ring neck. Should we give him bath. I kiss my  female alexandrian on fur nd never it has resulted in sneezing.

Answer
Seems like an allergen. .Feathers  are not an incredibly strong source of allergens. Reactions to their presence have more to do with dander -- a kind of dust that results when feather shafts break down -- or dust mites, which both have a tendency to collect within feathers. These allergens can spread when birds become active, such as when they flutter their wings or preen. However, it's also important to note that allergens can live within birds' fecal matter as well, and pet owners can easily come in contact with that while doing routine tasks such as cage cleaning.
Since all of you find sneezing near the ring neck,it might not be feather allergy to all of you,but may be dander or mites.So as I said initially external parasite infections(mites)shall be ruled out. And as far as dander is considered,it can be controlled by adding vitamin/mineral supplements in regular diet and by using Dander Down Dander Control Spray.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand