Ask the Veterinarian/Swollen nipple on dachshund

Our 10 year old female dachshund just began showing one engorged nipple. The others all look normal, but this one is swollen and looks almost as if it has a blockage. When palpatated, it feels like a pimple that should be popped, but my husband and I are loathe to do it. The area around the nipple is not swollen, but there does seem to be duct/vessel going to the nipple is swollen a little. She does not seem to be in any discomfort. What should we do? She had a hysterectomy after her first litter, but that was sometime before we got her (we got her when she was 4)

You need to have the vet check this out.  There is a chance that it could be a growth of some kind if she is spayed.  If there was a blockage or an infection, there would be pain, but since it is not painful, there may be some tissue growth causing the enlargement.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf

Dermatology and ear diseases of dogs and cats

I am the author of "Small Animal Ear Diseases; An Illustrated Guide" published by W.B. Saunders. I have over 25 years of clinical experience with a special interest in dermatologic conditions and ear diseases.

American Academy of Veterinary Dermatology

Veterinary Forum
Veterinary Medicine
Waltham Focus