Ask the Veterinarian/How to tame, please help

Question
hello. i recently bought(a week ago) a couple of Indian Ringneck Parakeets. they are 6 months old(seller told me). my question is how do i tame them. i watched many videos on youtube about how to tame a wild bird. but the thing is my birds are so scared of me. when i go near their cage they just want to stay away from me and goes to opposite side of the cage from where i m standing. so i cant even think about hand feeding and stuff. i need help!
Thank you.
(sorry for my bad English)

Answer
Hello Chintan,

There is a saying that these Indian Ringnecks are difficult to train.But it is not that true.As they are very smart birds, they should be kept entertained always or they will get bored very easily.Once this happens they will start chewing and may resort to other vices which are often destructive.However during adolscence there may be difficulties to manage them.
Continued daily handling is necessary to retain the friendly, gentle nature of these birds. If subjected to the amount of attention required only by daily necessary schedules of watering, feeding and cage maintenance, they will undoubtedly become  unfriendly quite quickly.To maintain a bond with the owner these birds must be given adequate quality attention and play time on a daily basis.Mind you,these are highly social animals any reluctance in our part may lead to bad results.During initial periods what we require is time and patience.Once on track it is quite interesting.

regards

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand