Ask the Veterinarian/Tigger

Question
My 16 year old cat has diabetes and this past week has been ill.  Took him to our vet but
They aren't sure what is wrong with him.  These are his symptoms:  not eating, drinking less
Than usual, vomiting, listless, loss of weight.   I have been feeding him by syringe every 4 hours
I mix cat food with a little rice cereal or cat food with cottage cheese.  At first he was accepting these
Feeding but now he spits it out.  He has bad teeth could he have an abscess? Or do you think his symptoms
Are related to his diabetes?

Answer
Hi Pat,
I don't know whether the Creatinine and BUN( Blood Urea Nitrogen) levels in your cat's blood has been determined.Because in uncontrolled diabetes one of the complications is renal damage and the symptoms to a certain extend suggests towards renal incompetency.Hence the Creatinine and BUN levels got to be looked into.Having said that diabetic animals are susceptible to infections and these symptoms may be due to an infection and not necessarily renal damage.And dental problems are quite common in diabetic animals.

Low protein diet is suggested in such instances.
Please check with your vet for the management of such conditions as treatment options are available,even though a bit difficult.

wish you all the best

regards

anand  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand