Ask the Veterinarian/12 year old Labrador dry heaving after eating

Question
Hi! I've recently switched my 12 year old Labrador retriever 's food to a weight maintenance dry dog food because of issues with his dysplasia and arthritis. I've noticed that after he eats he will start dry heaving but won't actually vomit. He's been doing this almost every day since I switched the food. He starts dry heaving around 15-30 minutes after eating and he will continue doing so once or twice every 20 minutes for the next two to three hours. The rest of the day he is perfectly fine. No heaving, gagging, vomiting or diarrhea. He still eats all his food, drinks his regular amount of water and doesn't seem to be having any other symptoms except the difficulty moving related to his conditions.  I also give him 1-2 dasuquin soft chews for the joints every morning. Not sure if it's the food that's causing the issues or if it's something else. Thank you!

Answer
Hi Olga,

This could only be related to the new dry dog food as you said these episodes started once you switched the food.May be an allergen specific to your dog is present in the new food.Try to avoid this food for a couple of times replacing with other foods,so that you can find out whether it is related to this particular food/brand.

In some animals with bowel issues like bloating,eating large quantities at a time can  produce such situations.The solution is to feed little quantities in divided doses.

If this is not linked to the above,seek your vets advice to rule in or out other possibilities like respiratory involvement or even initial stages of pharyngeal paralysis.

regards  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand