Ask the Veterinarian/adopted cat speaks incessantly

Question
We took in a male cat which had been wandering the neighborhood and hungry with an obvious injury.  He is guessed to be about 5 years old.   We had him neutered, treated for parasites and the old wound cleaned up. There are 5 other cats in the house and they tolerate the new kitty with hisses once in as while. They have not been fighting.

Because of diarrhea the cat was taken to our vet and treated then observed over the weekend. He is now back home.  The problem is his incessant talking.  If in my lap and petted for a moment, the talking will cease but for only a short while.  He is having a very difficult time adjusting to life indoors. He is litter trained and we suspect he was put out in the neighborhood and is definitely not feral.  Yet, he went a long time without neutering and likely little veterinary care and possibly little affection.

I hope the constant voice will eventually cease and he will be calm here. I joke that he goes from one end of the home to the other continually singing "the songs of his people".  In reality, this is not funny in the least since I loose sleep every night and the first week her prior to his second vet visit Had become quite the intolerant man, irritable and showing signs of sleep deprivation.

Normally would time here eventually lead him to calm and less singing? No health issue is suspected with the kitty. He has been taken from a hostile environment and put in a new, safe environment although he does not recognize the benefits out weigh being outside starving in the wild.  The environment change could be the big reason for the constant speech.  Thinking that, we are hoping for a transition in time to a calm cat.

I suppose some sort of gentle tranquilizer or adaptive, calming measure might help.

I have used your service in prior years and considering your kind an helpful responses, here we go again.

When not constantly speaking, this is an easily loved and gentle boy with a fine personality around people.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.  Blessing, Thomas.

Answer
Hi Thomas! So good to hear from you again. Yes I remember you.
Bless you for taking in this beautiful boy.

He is going to be talkative for a while due to his sudden change in circumstances. He is just figuring out his place among 5 other cats. That's a lot of cats in one place as most cats require about 125 q feet for their own personal space. I don't know how big your house is, however, and you might have plenty of room.

But being a tom cat for 5 yrs is a hard life but it's what he has known. So yes, it's going to take some time for him to settle down.

My suggestion would be for you to get a whole bunch of Feliway fiffusers and plug them in around the house in strategic places where he hangs out such as the living room, kitchen, where he is fed etc.

These can be most helpful in calming all the cats down and making everyone happy. You need only use them for a few months in most cases.
http://www.feliway.com/us/Feliway/Feliway-Diffuser

There are some drugs that can help but most vets would tell you to try the Feliway first.
Keeping things calm and giving him toys to play with as well should also help.

I adopted a 5 yr old feral cat just like this once. Feral usually means a domestic animal that has gone wild but my cat wasn't wild at all. He just wasn't owned by anyone and un-neutered as well. I had him neutered, vaccinated etc. but he wouldn't sleep in my house.

Since I live on some land I let him out. He never went far and I had him for about 10 yrs before he disappeared and died. He was always close to the house and I fed him daily and vaccinated him yearly. He was very loving and affectionate, and toward his older years would come in the house and sleep during the winter.

So you just never know about these cats.I have a young female now that was pretty wild when I adopted her- she was only about 6 months old- and would cry and squeak to be let out constantly. I just ignored her and told her she wasn't going to go outside for a while. After about 7 months of keeping her in the house she too goes in and out. I lock all 3 of mine up every night around 5 pm. No exceptions.

So while it might take some time, give the Feliway a try and see if that helps.
Please let me know how it works.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT