Ask the Veterinarian/Broken tooth

Question
Noticed today that my cat wintry has a broken tooth. Pretty sure these are all his permanent teeth too. Do cats have multiple sets of teeth? Like sharks lol
He doesn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort. Should I be worried? He's almost 1 year old

Answer
Cats and dogs get deciduous teeth when they are young, and as they grow older these fall out at varying times.

They lose their back molars around 4 months of age, followed by the few premolars they have. Then at 5-7 months they lose their canine teeth, both top and bottom.

By 9 months old most cats and dogs have their adult teeth.

Now, having said that, many cats and dogs might retain a baby tooth that is crammed up against an adult tooth.

These can break off, fall out later or have to be pulled out. They must be removed or they will permanently damage the dentition of the pet, and that can lead to problems with chewing and nutritional absorption.

Without seeing a photo, I cannot tell you what's going on with your cat.

The best thing you can do for him is get him in to see the vet as soon as possible.
If he isn't neutered already, this is the perfect age for it and they can remove any remaining baby teeth that are retained at the same time- saving you money and him going under twice.

So call your vet tomorrow and make him an appointment.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT