Ask the Veterinarian/canary sickness

Question
Hi Dr. Anand... my canary is sick for sometime now, she improved a lot, but not 100% she almost died few wks back ( i gave her abtibiotic in drinking water)... now what really concerns me why she keeps biting on corners and stretch her mouth... Even when i hold her she does the same to my fingers, she opens her mouth wide and applies pressure, beak is not long, eyes and area around eyes look very bad and feather has dropped around eyes area.... please help me out what should i do? Regards. Jamal

Answer
Hi Jamal,

Have you tested the droppings for internal parasites.If not sent sample for parasitology to rule out presence of  worms and protozoans.If internal parasites are present,birds tend to show such wired behaviors.

Also make sure that you are supplementing enough vitamins and minerals,especially after an antibiotic course,since they tend to have vitamin B complex deficiency.

Feed B vitamins, especially B12 and B6, folic acid and methonine to aid protein digestion. Excellent sources include sunflower hearts, wheat germ, bee pollen, spirulina, brewer's yeast, vegetable protein powder etc. You can  use vitamin supplements such as Vydex MVS 30 that contain not only the usual vitamins, but also amino acids and selenium.

Feed a lactobacillus probiotic product to establish a strong normal bacterial gastrointestinal flora. Avian-specific lactobacillus bacteria multiply in the gastrointestinal tract and produce lactic acid which lowers the pH making it more acid. The acid environment is antagonistic to disease produing bacteria. This results in natural competitive inhibition and expulsion of gram negative bacteria and other harmful organisms. In addition, friendly bacteria can synthesize B vitamins that are needed for protein digestion.

Hope this information helps

regards

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand