Ask the Veterinarian/My cat has a taste for blood

Question
You're going to think I'm crazy. My cat has started biting my ears when I'm sleeping. He gives them a massive chomp and I start bleeding. He does this often. It is incredibly painful. He has gotten his tooth stuck in my ear piercing hole. Why why why.

Answer
How old is this cat? Kittens and young cats will do crazy things like this. He hasn't developed a taste for blood, he is just trying to get your attention.

You need to nip this in the bud right away. When he starts to do this, or he wakes you up doing it, give him a little flip in the forehead and tell him No!

I have a 13 yr old cat who likes to bite me when I pet her- although not hard. If she does nip me hard I flip her and tell her No! and she has started doing it less and less.

It's called training and yes, even cats need it at times.

Otherwise keep him out of the bedroom.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT