Ask the Veterinarian/Dog behaving strangely after recent vet appointment

Question
Hi. I am concerned about my dog. I took him to the vet yesterday afternoon for his annual check up and the doctor gave him two shots (one for rabies and one for heartworm prevention) and did a blood test. I was unhappy because we were not told our regular vet was on vacation and would not be there, and another doctor we did not know was filling in for him. But we didn't want to be rude or offend anyone so we decided to just let the doctor who was on call do the exam. Anyway, my dog has not been himself since. He is a Jack Russell/Poodle mix and normally very energetic (bordering on hyper!) but he has been tired and lethargic, doesn't come when called and won't eat (he normally has a good appetite). He backside is also very tender and sore (he growls if you go near that area). We called and the receptionist said to give it a day, but I'm really worried and my regular vet is away all of next week as well! Is this normal? Could he have had a negative reaction to the drugs he was given? I checked the bill from last year and nothing different was done, and he didn't have this problem last year. Should I take him in again if this persists? If so, I'm not sure whether I should go back there or take him somewhere else since I did not really feel comfortable with the vet who is taking his regular vet's place although perhaps that is just because I am so used to dealing with him (we've had him for many years). My dog is nearly two years old so still a puppy, in case that information is relevant. We all adore him, and would be devastated if something were to happen to him. I recall hearing a story where the vet made a mistake and accidentally euthanized a perfectly healthy dog, or where the animal was given the wrong drug and ended up getting sick or dying. And so I am very worried. Thank you very much for your time.

Answer
It's easy to worry when our little furbabies aren't feeling well, but what your vet said is correct, it does take a day or so to get past this. He isn't a puppy at two- they stop being puppies at a year.

Could be that they got in a new brand of vaccine for dogs and that your dog is a little sensitive to it.

It's very, very common and some dogs always get sore from vaccinations. Many vets will have you give a baby Benadryl an hour before you bring in the dog to help alleviate the symptoms before they get started.

Next time you call for an appointment make sure the vet you want to see is in and request him only. Most vets are happy to accommodate you.

I'm sorry he isn't feeling well and they should have told you that you can give him a half of a baby aspirin to help him feel better.

NO Tylenol, NO Ibuprofen, No Norco or ANY human drug,half of a BABY aspirin or low dose (81 mg) ONLY.
Only half and only on a full tummy. Once or twice a day.

If he continues to feel dumpy you need to get him in to be seen.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT