Ask the Veterinarian/Dog nail

Question
About 4-5 weeks ago my Min Pin, Louie, broke one of his nails.  It was the outside nail on his front, right foot; it lightly bleed for about 4-5 hours and he wouldn't step on the foot at all.  I have no idea how he broke it.  It was tender for a couple days, but after that he seemed fine.  Today, I'm not sure what happened, he may have stubbed it or one of the kids may have stepped on it...just not sure.  He will not stand on that foot, or will barely put weight on it when walking. There is no heat or swelling in any part of his leg nor does he mind me poking at it.  He'll let me touch the toe, but he isn't happy about it; I'm pretty confident that's where the pain is.  I don't see any sign of infection, nor can I feel any heat coming off it.  I am mostly wondering if there is anything I can do for him, or if this might be a sign something is wrong with nail?  Otherwise he is a healthy dog, though overweight, and we've seen no change in his behaviors or eating since hurting the nail the first time.  Thank you in advance for your help.

Answer
Hi Jennifer,

As you feel that there is no inflammation or infection there is nothing to worry about.It would heal on its own in few days as your pet is quite healthy.But to prevent any infection you can try Betadine liquid or ointment on the nail region for few days till you feel it is sound.You may wrap the area with bandage cloth after applying Betadine.The dressing may be changed everyday so as to reassess the injury.In case you feel any instance of infection,inflammation or pain in the region,take veterinary aid immediately.

regards  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand