Ask the Veterinarian/Dog was sick and passed. No one knows the cause

Question
Hi Dr. Anand. I was wondering if you could help me. My friends dog a rat terrier mix became ill. Weak and cold legs. No eating or drinking and wouldn't get up for a couple of days. They took her to the Vet. He said the blood wasn't getting back to her legs. She had medicine, a heating pad, and IV fluids and died the next day.  They don't know why. She was 7 yrs old and checked out completely healthy a month before. What would cause this? I looked up some poisons like antifreeze and it doesn't seem to fit. No vomiting or diarrhea. Maybe you can help. Thank you so much.
Beth

Answer
Hai Beth,
A sick dog will naturally be less active. When a dog is actively dying, he will show signs of extreme fatigue. He will most likely lie in one spot without attempting to get up anymore, and he may no longer even have the strength to lift his head.

I think your vet has ruled out possibilities of any acute infections/metabolic diseases.If that's the case,the chances of poisoning cannot be ruled out.Some cases of poisoning,there seems to be no vomitting or diarrhea.Some remote possibilities are  rodenticides like Bromethalin. The symptoms depend on the nature of the poison, and signs may not start for several days after consumption. In some instances, the dog may have eaten the poisoned rodent, and not been directly exposed to the toxin.There have been instances where dogs got poisoned by human medications like ibuprofen,and eventually led to death.

Please check all possibilities and we can at least make sure of what caused this and be cautious in future.Home Safety Guide for Pet Owners wwill be helpful for future references.

http://www.expertise.com/home-and-garden/pet-safety-guide

regards

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand