Ask the Veterinarian/kitten with swollen penis

Question
We have a litter of orphaned kittens that we have had since they were about a day old. They are now approximately 5 1/2 weeks old. One of the males presented yesterday with his penis swollen and dribbling urine. I took him straight to our local vet this morning. He got a shot of anti-inflammatory and PCN. He drained his bladder and got 4cc urine out. We brought him home and are doing warm compresses and he said to gentle squeeze the penis to manually deflate it.
I trust our vet but he admits that he has not seen this problem before and doesn't normally see kitten this small. I'm concerned and do not want this kitten to end up with permanent damage.
We had noticed the one of the other kittens sucking on his penis. We have separated them and are doing the warm compresses. Is there anything else we can do?

Answer
Hi Mary,

Your vet has provided the right treatment for the case.The inflammation probably has happened due to sucking and subsequent injury/infection.Penicillin would control the infection and an anti-inflammatory would reduce the inflammation.Once inflammation is reduced dribbling of urine should be over unless it has inflicted some physical damage to the penis/urethra.Let's hope it is no so.Do continue with the treatment your vet suggested.Please check the litter material that it is not causing any inconvenience/interference on the penile region.

regards  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand