Ask the Veterinarian/Leg Problem

Question
I have a male Shitz Tzu, about 4-5 years old.  We 'adopted' him when his owner passed away.  An hour or so ago, he was on the steps--3rd or 4th from the bottom--and, for lack of a better word, fell.  He is now not walking on his left rear leg.  He has it pulled up.  I felt around and don't feel any obvious broken bones--with my limited knowledge from having been a paramedic.  The dog does not appear to be in any pain as he continues to walk, and run, around although we are trying to limit his movement.  Further, he does not appear to be in any pain.  I'm holding off until tomorrow to go to the vet if need be.  Any suggestions?  Maybe a break, maybe not?  I understand that an accurate diagnosis can't be made here.  I'm wondering if it's just a sprain or something?

Answer
Hi Chris Miller,

Yes this could only be a sprain.Check for any edema or inflammation on the region.You can also pull both hind legs together while on dorsal recumbent position to see any difference in length of the hind limbs,so as to rule out any possible  dislocation,especially hip.Try using regular vet liniments meant for  sprain.If no improvement is seen in 3 days time,seek veterinary aid.

regards

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand