Ask the Veterinarian/Limping Dog

Question
Hello,
My two year old dog, Hyper started limping all of a sudden today afternoon. She was fine all morning and ate her breakfast and was behaving normally till about 2 PM. Now I was in my room doing my work and she was sitting with me and she suddenly got up and probably went to drink water. She came back about 15 minutes later and she was limping. My mum who was in the kitchen, said that Hyper lied down in front of her and when she got up after some time, she was limping. I don't know whether she has hit her leg somewhere or what has happened all of a sudden but now she is unable to walk properly. She isn't putting any weight on her front left leg. I examined all of her legs anyway but I can't find any cuts or bruises or thorns in her paws. She isn't crying and doesn't seem to be in pain but when she lies down, she struggles to get back up. Also, she is unable to jump up on the bed which she could do very easily till the morning. She also shows reluctance to move (even when we show her her favorite toys or treats). We will be taking her to the vet tomorrow evening if the limping doesn't stop. Till then can u please suggest us what to do and what might be the problem. Thanks a lot in advance.

Other details about her- She is a overall healthy 25 months old purebred Labrador Retriever. We feed her milk, breads, chicken and pedigree dry dog food. She weighs about 40-45 kg but I m not sure about that. We take her on long walks everyday but we haven't been taking her outside if not for her toilets because she is in heat currently and has been since about about week.

Answer
It would be pretty impossible for me to say what this might be since she really needs to see a vet for a hands on exam.

That is the best thing you can do for her. I would advise you to cut the milk and bread out of her diet and put her on a decent food- not one full of junk that is made from cheap meat on the docks. We've seen dogs die from eating Pedigree diets- it's not a food that we would ever recommend.
Also she is about (35-40 lbs) overweight. Female labs should only be between and females 50 to 60 lb (25 to 30 kg) and no more.
She will suffer from joint injures (possibly what she has now) and her hips going bad if she doesn't lose at least 40 lbs.

Also she is old enough to be spayed and if left intact she can face some serious life-threatening problems such as Pyometra and Mammary cancer.

I would put her on Science Diet Large Breed adult food and cut out all human food for her. She doesn't need it and all dogs are lactose (milk) intolerant once weaned from their mommas.

I hope that her leg injury is minor and you can start cutting these foods out of her diet right away and get her on Science Diet.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT