Ask the Veterinarian/Pitbull momma and 9 pups...

Question
Pitbull pups
Pitbull pups  
yesterday morning, my pitbull gave birth to 9 pups. Starting at 7:30 ended at noonish. I'm a groomer and have helped dogs birth but I'm no expert like the vets! It's 3;00 am the next morning and the pups whine a lot. Also mom won't stop panting but for short periods of time. Nipples look good. She feels feverish but I haven't taken her temp just yet. (Has dry warm nose, hot ears?) i noticed with the air conditioning on the pups may be cold. I turned it off. Not much different but some. Mom is still panting. She lays in a fetal position sometimes but is a darn good momma. I planned on making an appointment but for now...any advice? Is it bad enough for the spendy trip to the animal hospital???  Thank you!!

Answer
Hi Annie,

I reckon you should visit the vets as with some of these symptoms the chances of eeclampsia cannot be ruled out. The temperature can go up to 105° Fahrenheit.Although this is common in smaller breeds,other breeds can  also develop this.This happens because of low  calcium levels in the blood.Time being you may supplement oral calcium,but do get it checked as eclampsia can be life threatening.

regards

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand