Ask the Veterinarian/poisonous chestnuts (horse chestnut)

Question
Hello!

I am repopulating a small grove of trees on my dads farm this year and next year.  I looked into a few different trees but had questions because i read information regarding toxicity to cattle.   Horse chestnuts, black cherry, red oak, american sycamore.  Are there major concerns about cattle being poisoned by eating horse chestnuts, black cherries, etc. etc.   are there trees that i should absolutely avoid?  Better yet, are there beneficial trees to plant along fence lines for cattle? I am in south eastern south dakota.  Growing zone 4.  

thank you so much

Answer
Hi Darren,

I am actually located in Asia middle east and is not familiar with the botanical state in your area.

Although there are no major health concerns with the species of plants you mentioned,one need to be cautious while feeding livestock,especially while using non conventional feeds.Lot of  animal factors like species,age,body weight etc and plant factors like part of the plant used,state of the part like fresh/dried, palatability etc will have a say on the final outcome.Mind you most of these plant extracts are of course used in various medicines.

I would request you to get in touch with your Agriculture Department for more practical information which you are seeking. They would provide you details and availability of  beneficial trees to plant along fence also. https://sdda.sd.gov/

Please find the list of poisonous plants to livestock from Department of Animal Science,Cornell University.  http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/php/plants.php?action=display&ispecies=cattl.

regards and all the best  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand