Ask the Veterinarian/Apple cider vinegar

Question
Hello i have wo alexandrian female . One i raised since it was a chick she is 6 month old and other is recently adopted but 2.5 years old.
I tonight gave both of them 2ml calcium and vitamin solution. (a small portion of vitamin tablet mixed in water). And two days ago i smelled one of them having bad smell coming from beak so i gave both of them 2 ml solution of apple cider mixed in water 2:1 = water : cider
Now one is sneezing . I used injection to give them both solution from mouth. The 2.5 yr old is sneezing and trying to vomit. What should i do i am really upset now .

Regards
MJ

Answer
Hi Mahreen,

Seems like the ACV concentration is on a higher side. Though ACV is good for birds in prevention of diseases,higher concentrations can alter the normal flora.Ideally ACV can be used at a dilution rate of one tsp per gallon of water,especially before breeding season.

I think the bird which is  showing signs of sneezing & nausea needs antibiotics for sinusitis and also needs avian specific probiotics to correct the altered micro flora.

Please consult your vet and proceed for treatment

regards

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand