Ask the Veterinarian/Coccidia Medication

Question
Hello,
   I have two dogs and two cats. One.dog is an 8 month old Bloodhound. The other is  one year old Border Collie. I have a four year old cat and a four month old kitten. I would like to know a recommendation you may have regarding an alternative cure for Coccidia other than Albon.
It is quiet expensive for the amount and weight I have to dose for all four pets
Thank you.

Answer
First of all, where all four animals tested positive for coccidia? I do know that they can cross-contaminate but all four having it at once is a lot!

Any treatment for this protozoan is not going to be cheap since it isn't a parasite, but a live living organism. That's one of the reason's it's so contagious.

Albon is the go-to drug for this and it is very safe. Trimethoprim-sulfadiazine (Tribrissen®) is also used but it's not much cheaper.
These drugs have also been used with varying degrees of success:

Numerous additional drugs and drug combinations have been used with some success. (See below)
Among the newer drugs, ponazuril appears to be effective, according to published research and user testimonials.

Treatment of Coccidiosis of Dogs and Cats
Sulfadimethoxine    
Sulfaguanidine    
Furazolidone    
Trimethoprim/Sulfonamide    
Sulfadimethoxine/Ormetoprim    
Quinacrine     
Amprolium    
Amprolium/Sulfadimethoxine    
Toltrazuril    
Diclazuril    
Ponazuril    

So that's what's out there. I would consult with your vet about maybe using Corid. I don't know if it's even safe for cats and dogs as it's made for cattle. But it's a lot cheaper.
I cannot find any safety information on it.

Call your vet and run it by them before you use ANYTHING on your pets. Many drugs are fatal to both cats and dogs that are safe for other species.

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT