Ask the Veterinarian/German Shepherd puppy

QUESTION: I have a 5 month old male German Shepherd puppy, pure breed, from solid Czech and ddr import bloodlines. My puppy has pretty much had loose stools since we've gotten him. His stool improved after switching him a month ago to a high end grain free,poultry free dog food. He's been dewormed multiple times for possible roundworms. Vet said there were a few signs in fecal test. He's been on heart guard since we've gotten him. Also on flea pill. His last batch of really loose diarrhea resulted in another vet visit, this time with possible coccidios, resulting in TMP prescribed for 14 days. We are almost done with the tmp. Stool improved for a few days back to sorta firm to ending to soft serve consistency. I'm at a loss. He's growing very well, tons of energy. Just softer then normal poop, that I'd love to get resolved. Any suggestions would be great!

ANSWER: Hi Alexander,

You may please supplement probiotics like FortiFlora® Canine Nutritional Supplement so as to restore the normal intestinal flora which would have been damaged after a long term therapy with anti microbial like TMP.I reckon this would control the loose stools.

If in case the probiotics doesn't work well,you may get back to your vet and will have to rule in or out EPI(Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency),a degenerative sort of disease,genetically linked and more common in GSD.Please don't worry about this right now.This is just a remote possibility in long standing cases of diarrhea. You can find more on this @

QUESTION: I forgot to mention, we tested him for epi and he was found to be negative for it. Also tried for a month or so a probiotic and it had no effect. Are there any other things you would suggest? I'm about to switch his dog food to orijen 6 fish to see if that helps. Side note he occasionally ( once every few weeks maybe)will eat his own poop, that seems to cause looser stool for a few days.

Any medical problem that leads to a decrease in absorption of nutrients, causes gastrointestinal upset or causes an increase in the appeal of the dog's stool, could lead to coprophagia. Other words if the stools contain large amounts of undigested food material, there is an increased likelihood that the puppy would eat the stools.

So as you suggested a change in diet to one that is more digestible, or one with different protein sources may be useful,especially in problems involving small intestine.Dietary modification is an important aspect of the management of such conditions. Please see that the new food provides a single protein source (one to which your dog has not previously been exposed)

Please be patient for few more months and there is every likelihood that the severity would decrease once your pup grows into an adult dog.But keep watch on the  habit of coprophagia,or it will develop into a vice.

Wish you all the best.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand

Large and Small Animal Medicine and Surgery, Farm Management,Preventive medicine

A Senior Veterinary Surgeon with more than 25 years’ experience in the field of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry. Mixed animal Practice that will utilize my skills in medicine and surgery, public health, client relations, and developing relationships within the community, such as humane society

Veterinary Consultant with Department of Animal Resources,Ministry of Environment,State of Qatar (Present). Animal Husbandry Department, Government of Kerala, India. Oakland's Park, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom. Severnside Veterinary Center, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom. Saud Bahwan Group, Sultanate of Oman. Trivandrum Regional Co-operative Milk Producers Union,Kerala,India.

BVSc & AH (Bachelor of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry) 1990. College of Veterinary & Animal Sciences, Mannuthy, Thrissur, Kerala, India under Kerala Agricultural University. Certificates Of Accomplishments- Equine Nutrition- University of Edinburgh Principles of Public Health-University of California, Irvine. AIDS- Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia. General Environmental Health – EPHOC-Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine and the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Public Health. Food Protection-EPHOC-Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine and the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Public Health. Zoonoses:University of Minnesota-School of Public Health online. Food Safety:University of Minnesota-School of Public Health online. Occupational Safety and Health-EPHOC-Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine and the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Public Health. Rabies Educator Certified -Global Alliance for Rabies Control. Animal Handler & Vaccinator Educator Certified -Global Alliance for Rabies Control. Wildlife Conservation-United for Wildlife