Ask the Veterinarian/My hamster

Question
Hello there,
First off I just want to thank you for taking the time to read this. I ha e a hamster. She is a Syrian and she is about a year old. She has recently started walking a little off..I noticed her paws look a little swollen.but she is still eating okay and very friendly and active. She still loves her ball and runs around my bed.but now I have noticed she has these little red bumps under her chin. I just wanted to see if you knew anything I could do besides give her meds from a vet. Or if this is something I should take her to a vet over. Again thank you so much. Enjoy your day

Answer
Hi Alyssa,

Please do fix an appointment with your vet ASAP. The possibility  of abscess due to bacterial infection cannot be ruled out, and if so,requires antibiotic course.The swelling in the paws could also be a localized lesion.  The other probabilities like cysts or even tumors got to be ruled out.As there is no systemic involvement so far, the hamster would still be lively and feeding normal.But  requires veterinary attention for the long term health status of your hamster.

regards

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr S Bindu Anand