Ask the Veterinarian/Limping dog after surgery

Question
Hi my sons Beagle was hit by a car a month ago. Her hip was dislocated and they had to shave the femur. They have been doing the exercise the vet recommended but she will not put any weight on the back leg and limps around. She is on pain medication and is not overweight. She weighs 22 lbs. They are very concerned and don't know what else to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Answer
I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean about "shave the femur." Did they do a femoral head ostectomy? That's where they take the head of the femur off and the bone then develops it's own socket in the hip joint.

Here's an article on it.
http://www.topdoghealth.com/library/orthopedic-surgery/articles-surgery/femoral-

If that is the case, it's going to take more than a month. Broken bones take 6-8 weeks to heal so she is going to be sore and limping still. It takes time for these to heal and for the dog to be pain free.

I would make sure they keep doing these exercises but contact the vet if she cries, or pants a lot (sign of pain in dogs) or refuses to walk at all.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT