Ask the Veterinarian/Cat with bump on neck/ shoulder

Hi, I have a 20 year old female cat that has developed a sort of bump/ wound on her neck/ shoulder area. It is an open wound and bleeds when she cleans the area. I will attach a picture of the wound. She is too old and fragile to be taken to a vet. Please could you inform me as to what type of treatment she needs?
Thank you for your time.

This is the perfect time to reach out for phone/skype/email homeopathic treatments as they can heal this wound and enhance the rest of her life. adopted cats 16 and older, fed a fraw meat diet and worked with homeopathic vets - some of their cats lived to 28-34.

I treated a phone client whose cat had a wound that would open, be surgically treated along with drugs and this repeated for almost a year. I found the homeopathic medicine that matched the condition (scars break open, wounds slow to heal) and the cat (timid, thirsty, chilly, history of vaccine reactions) and with a few repetitions of the remedy the cat's wound re-opened once for a few days, then healed and she went on to live a long life of good energy and less timidity. - Try Jane Fraser, I think I met her. If none of these will work by phone (or can do a house call) with you, try the following: - european homeopathic vets who may do long distance consult - search for phone consulting vets here as there are many who do consult all over the world. Bernstein, Ramelmeier, Cooney are a few who would.

You could merely opt for treating the wound and not building up the health for great quality of life. The main challenge is to keep her from licking the area so it can heal. This is a very difficult area to bandage, but maybe a carefully crafted T-shirt with long arms would work. You can try to put powdered hot pepper on the area near the wound or something else she does not like. If you have a health food store near you get calendula lotion (or cream but cats do better with liquids) or calendula tincture that you would dilute 10 drops in a 1/2 C water. HyperCal would also be good, or SSStingSSSTop. They may have herbal healing salves (many exist) if she will tolerate the ointment. There are now very soft Elizabethean collars (used to be made of heavy material so though the cone kept them from licking the area. If you google - "soft elizabethan collar cat" you will see pictures to see if this may help your cat.

The best approach is treat the cat with excellent homeopathy or other holistic modalidies
The short term goal is 1. prevent licking - be creative
2. use a healing lotion/gel
3. build the immune system - good food (fresh is definitely the best); some immune supplements (good ones would include mushrooms), Vitamin E and A for healing (cod liver oil good).  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Christina Chambreau

I can give you the holistic approach to any problem, mostly for dogs and cats and some farm animals and horses. Depending on the condition and the type of animal, I will be able to give very specific treatment suggestions such as what flower essences, homeopathic remedies, nutritional supplements, diet changes, lifestyle changes or herbs that may be helpful - not drugs. I can also suggest where you can go for further education or to find a specialist in a specific holistic field. I can help you understand why your animal is ill and what improvements can be expected. I do not check messages more than every one to two days, so PLEASE DO NOT ask about EMERGENCIES - call your local veterinarian. I cannot diagnose your animal. I cannot prescribe specific treatments. I am no longer very current with conventional treatments, so cannot answer questions on those. I am not an expert on birds or small critters. I am not an expert in breeding, birthing or babies.

I graduated from the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine in 1980 and began using homeopathy in my practice after a client introduced me to it. By 1988 I was using exclusively holistic treatments. I began lecturing in 1987 and have spoken at veterinary conferences, health food stores, people's homes, churches, veterinary college conferences - anywhere people want to learn more about keeping their animals healthy.

Academy of Veterinary Homeopathy (I helped found this one) American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association National Center for Homeopathy American Veterinary Medical Association

I have written in many magazines, journals and newspapers. A few include Bark Magazine; Journal of the AHVMA; Baltimore Dog Magazine; Whole Dog Journal; Tiger Tribe; Wolf Clan. I have also been frequently interviewed on radio and TV. I am Associate Editor for the Integrative Veterinary Care Journal, so often have articles there.

Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) Certified Veterinary Homeopath (CVH)