Ask the Veterinarian/dog arthritis Rimadyl options

Question
Our 12-year old fox terrier (25 lbs.) has just been found to have arthritis in one of his leg joints causing limping. The vet recommended cutting back on walking him for about a week and she prescribed Rimadyn to be taken for a few weeks. We have also added glucosamine & chondroitin pills, one a day, on our own.  We have read some good things about g & c.  Each g & c contains 900 mg. After the rymadin is used up, we would like to continue the g & c for several weeks. Would you say that one pill per day is a reasonable dosage? or should we increase or decrease it? Thanks!

Answer
HI David,  Sorry about your Fox Terrier and the arthritis. I am glad you are only going to use the drug Rimadyl short term as it can cause trouble with the kidney and liver when used long term.  Great that you are using the supplements.  My clients all use this supplement NuJoint Plus, it's an easy to digest mix of supplements that help - Holistic and NOT sold in stores http://www.nuvet.com/81098  ( look for the blue bottle NuJoint DS)  if they ask order code 81098  AND you get 10% off of auto ship    

As for dosage of the product you have on hand the 900 mg is a fairly good amount , it's normally 300 mg per 10 pounds of dog...

If you need more help visit me here  http://www.dogfoodconsultant.com  

Ask the Veterinarian

Marie Peppers LPNMA ( pet nurse)