Ask the Veterinarian/dog food recipes; Chronic ear infections in bassett hound

Question
I have a 14 1/2 year old black lab-Bassett hound mix who clearly suffers from allergies--scratches all the time, constantly licks and chews herself, chronic ear infections (she is now deaf). My question is: is there any way to tell if her allergies are caused by diet or by something else? Years ago, the vet found crystals in her urine, so ever since, she's been eating Hill's Science Diet urinary care c/d, which, considering its price, I find rather disconcerting that it's made mostly of corn and other fillers. However, she very rarely, if ever, throws up or has any other GI issues. So I don't know for sure if it's her food or not.

Any advice?

Answer
Hi Devin,  I think your dog is on a food that is aiding to the itchy allergy problems.
I would switch to home cooking this meat loaf .. All you need to do is make 3 meat loafs per week.  You can freeze it into slices and take out what you need.   YOUR dog will be so much better.
Also, you will need to add the NuVET Plus supplement - it will help to fight off the allergens that are hitting your dog and Balance the home cooking ;

Recipe for dog with bladder infections, crystals and chronic ear infections ;

THIS RECIPE is for a ​55 to 65 ​ pound dog ( you may need to adjust for your Size lab / hound mix )

Feed ​ 2 1/2 ​ SLICES of Meatloaf in the am , ( 2 inch size slices of the meat loaf ) and feed ​2​ slice​s​ ( same size) in the PM

Recipe:

CHOOSE 1 meat:

​4​ lbs fairly lean *****( YOU will do Ground Turkey ) or LEAN Ground Beef ( 90 % or leaner) or ground chicken is fine

​5​ cups of bread crumbs - plain - See Wheat free link  if you need it - ​( gluten free ) ​
​1/2 ​ of a cup 2 % low fat milk
​7 ​ med size eggs
​2 ​ teaspoon​s​ of CRUSHED egg Shell -- - Smash it ( it's for Calcium) - Must be crushed and then cooked into the meat loafs --
​1 1/2​ cup​s​ ( green beans / peas/ others) ( grated and mush) *** ( TRY GREEN BEANS but cut them up or Smash them )

Your dog will need ​1​​  NuVET Plus Wafer​s​ supplement per day ( Info below ) / NuVET is amazing for the body and it BALANCES home cooking
( do not put the NuVET into the Recipe ) - ( Give 1  NuVET Plus Daily as your Doggie Supplement) --

INFO to order is below - MOST dogs love it and take NuVET as a treat
(YOU can not balance this Recipe without a Quality Supplement)
Most of my clients use the NuVET Plus ( We have Wafer or Powder )

ALSO ADD: to the meat loaf mix
​1 1/2​ teaspoons vegetable oil
1/​2​ teaspoon LOW SALT tamari soy sauce BAKE
* press the mixture into a casserole dishes so its 2 inches thick and bake at 350F for 30 to 35 minutes, or until set and lightly browned.

SNACKS -

in the afternoon give 1/​2 ​cup of green beans with a dash of olive oil
Or

1/​2​ cup of melon

or
1/2​ ​ cup of cut up apple - no seeds

or
1/4 cup of canned peaches (in water or peach juice) and 1/​4​ cup of low fat cottage cheese

2 Servings per day of the Meat loaf should do the trick -
The Meat loaf will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator

YOU can use 90% lean ground beef as your meat choices for this meat loaf -- try the turkey first as your meat of choice ; or try Chicken first... NEVER do more than one Meat in your loaf at one time .
YOU will choose only one veggie to add to the meat load - Green beans or greens peas seem to do well

As far as the NuVET Supplement
here is my web site so you can look over the NuVET Plus
http://www.nuvet.com/81098
Pet Nurse Marie
If you use my order code you can get 15 % on every order with auto ship
Call 1-800-474-7044 NOT found in stores/ Holistic

Down the road I can give you a Crock Pot Stew recipe to make

Let me know if you have questions..

​Marie Peppers LPNMA
Ask the Pet Nurse ​

​YOU can get these Oats in place of the bread crumbs if you wish :  Gluten free  - ​( Need grain free?  This is NOT a grain free recipe;  Here is an option, You can try this
GLUTEN FREE ROLLED OATS

http://www.bobsredmill.com/gluten-free-rolled-oats.html

​or
YOU can do gluten free Bread Crumbs ;  ​If you need Wheat FREE bread crumbs - here is a link:   to Gillian's Foods
http://www.gilliansfoodsglutenfree.com/products/index.php?cPath=29&osCsid=15aad7  

Ask the Veterinarian

Marie Peppers LPNMA ( pet nurse)