Ask the Veterinarian/Upper Respiratory Infection In Kitten

QUESTION: Dear Dr. Christina,

My 3 month-old kitten (raw fed) has an upper respiratory infection for more than a month now and I have since tried using below treatments to treat her but haven't seen any improvement yet:

apple cider vinegar (as steam bath and nape rub)
bamboo salt
colloidal silver (orally and topically)
ground black seed (as steam bath)
olive oil (as body rub)

May I know if I can use below treatments for her badly congested nose and eye infection?:

"A way to use garlic on a stuffy nose, sore throat and infection that has gone into the lungs is to crush the small end of a clove and use it like a Vicks inhaler so you breathe the fumes through your nostrils. This will help clear the passages as well as fight the germs. Eating garlic is not enough, it has to get to the site of the infection as directly as possible and breathing it in takes it all the way into the lungs. Another way to do the same thing is to crush the garlic and wrap gauze, cheesecloth or thin fabric around it and breathe through the gauze to get the vapors into the lungs."
Credit to: Red Ice Creations

"Carla says:
Iíve had success with washing eyes daily for minor runny eyes and the tea wash method for mild to moderate infections. But for the bad ones Ė where kittenís/catís eyes are full of discharge and closed Ė the cure all is garlic. Squeeze a clove or two of garlic in a garlic press and catch the juice in a small container. Place a drop or two in infected eye twice a day for 5 days or until eyes are consistently clear. It does sting a bit Ė they will fuss over it, but garlic is a natural antiseptic and antibiotic, I place it in my own eyes when they are red and itchy from allergies or colds.
Anyway, itís a dirt cheap cure Iíve had success with Ė safe and all natural and certainly worth trying before you break the bank at the vetís office."
Credit to: VetLocator.

Your assistance and cooperation are greatly appreciated!

Thanks & regards,

ANSWER: I was speaking near you this past summer - Bali and Hong Kong.
You are doing a wonderful attempt to use holistic approaches to heal this kitten. I suspect she has a virus, so it can be VERY hard to sure these cats. Certainly continue the L Lysine as that will be a good support if it is a herpes virus.

To specifically answer your garlic question -I have never used it directly into the eyes, so cannot confidently coach you on that and would not suggest it. I do not know if the kitten would be willing to sniff the garlic, but that would be fine to do. I would also feed garlic orally (mayb 1/4 clove a day)

You may know this already, but the key is as much about the kitten as a whole as it is resolving the nose and eyes. Is she growing? Is she active? Is she eating?  These are the most important keys to health.  You list so many things, that I also wonder if you are using each one long enough to tell if there is improvement. Focus on building up the immune system and rebalancing the chi/pranna/vital force more than treating the eyes/nose.

so I would suggest
1. continue the LLysine as I said.
2. do Reiki every day (see below if you need to get attuned).
3. If she is growing, eating and active in spite of the nose/eyes you can keep trying on your own.
   a. apple cider vinegar - while I have seen ACV work well when given orally or for skin infections, I have not tried it for nose/eye
   b. I bought bamboo salt when in Bali and had one friend energetically need it and a few like it, and know it has healing properties, but would not suggest it for this. (aha - I just found that bamboo leaves are antioxidant).
   c. Definitely I have seen at least temporary help with colloidal silver (orally and topically), so I would continue this for a month.
   d. Not familiar with ground black seed (as steam bath)
   e. honey is wonderful for topical wounds and I would try it if the skin under the nose or eyes is raw, but I think it would offend a kitten who would then damage themselves trying to get it  
   f. olive oil (as body rub) - many benefits and I use it smother ear mites, but again, I think a cat would not like it on their skin, so only if raw skin.
   g. aloe squeezed from a plant leaf - orally and on any raw areas (discharge sometimes makes skin raw near nose and eyes).
4. General support
  a. Antioxidants - vit C, Krill oil, other local antioxidants, Vit E
  b. immune enhancers  - all need to be organically raised (no need to be certified, just that you know how they were raised/obtained) Aloe vera, Goldenseal (5 days on 2 off), Shiitake and Reishi Mushrooms (or other local ones if you check on internet for ok), algae, kelp and seaweed, and turmeric (antiinflammatory).  
  c. no processed cat food (I am sure you are not but needed to check).
  d. gently tap the thymus

If she is not eating and not doing well, you really need to work with a homeopathic veterinarian by phone/skype/email as they can cure this at a very deep level. and;;;

Personally, I think every person who lives with or works with animals must know at least Level I Reiki (or some form of purely energetic healing). The practitioner offers this energy and the animal comes over to get it (or places her hands upon the animal), or it can be done from a distance, even around the world with the intent for healing to occur. The energy flows through the healer into the animal. This is based on directly applying Chi (energy) to rebalance the energy field so it no longer needs to produce the physical symptoms. It is a very good adjunct to any healing modality, especially to relieve pain and inflammation. I have seen cats who began to eat again when their food was treated with Reiki. It also "takes the bad out of" things. By doing Reiki on smelly water in restaurants I have been able to drink sweet tasting and smelling water. Use Reiki anytime that you must give injections, vaccines, drugs, flea or heartworm drugs, or other substances with potential toxicity. Reiki is great to calm animals, relieve discomfort, and can deeply heal some problems in some animals.  

1. Great information on Reiki -
2. Kathleen Prasad is a wonderful teacher and works with my favorite sanctuary and holistic education center, BrightHaven Kathleen leads a free monthly telechat for anyone trained in Reiki and using it with animals.

3. If you cannot find a Reiki Class near you (same class for people and animals as it connects you through an "attunement" to the healing energy of the universe, making you a channel of healing), the following groups offer long distance, free, attunements.

c. Christine at, To receive free distance Reiki send her your first name only, city and state, and whether or not you have had any Reiki training.  She invites you to include your pets as well.  She uses a teddy bear and does a full body Reiki distance treatment for one hour each Sunday evening from 9 p.m. until 10 p.m. EST.
d. And a team of over 100 healers will send free healing energy until you say not to. Email Barbara at with your healing request, name of animal, species, color & age. In the subject say request through Dr. Chambreau

4. for a fee:
Excellent recommendation in 2015 - offers many types of energy healing classes- search a bit to find the reiki ones or email them. Long distance healing and training is at
5. Get a free treatment for yourself at

Please keep track of all the symptoms (including energy level and overall stuff) and what treatments are started an stopped. I would love to know how she does - email me at HealThyAnimals  @

QUESTION: Dear Dr. Christina,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide me with the helpful info. I will try my best to incorporate what you suggested.

Joy (the kitten) has been fed raw since we adopted her (orphaned kitten) and she had been nursed by our mother cat.

She is eating well and quite active (but growth not proportional). She sleeps most of the time and only wakes up for feeding time and for short grooming session with her dedicated adopted mother.

Yes, I am using most of the treatments consistently.

To loosen the phlegm, can I do a steam and percussion ie. steaming face over hot water and gentle tapping her back with cupped hand?

Also can I use a baby nasal aspirator to clear the nasal passage?

I love her name. Joy (the kitten) has been fed raw since we adopted her (orphaned kitten) and she had been nursed by our mother cat.

YES as long as she is ok with that.

I would do that with a little colloidal silver ( and Rescue remedy if that is available).

However, both of those are still merely soothing the symptoms, not curing the underlying imbalance.

Do you know an acupuncturist for people? They may be able to show you some points you could rub to rebalance her immune system.
The best is to find the homeopath.

And easier to answer further questions if you just email me at HealthyAnimals  
Then we can go back and forth more.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Christina Chambreau

I can give you the holistic approach to any problem, mostly for dogs and cats and some farm animals and horses. Depending on the condition and the type of animal, I will be able to give very specific treatment suggestions such as what flower essences, homeopathic remedies, nutritional supplements, diet changes, lifestyle changes or herbs that may be helpful - not drugs. I can also suggest where you can go for further education or to find a specialist in a specific holistic field. I can help you understand why your animal is ill and what improvements can be expected. I do not check messages more than every one to two days, so PLEASE DO NOT ask about EMERGENCIES - call your local veterinarian. I cannot diagnose your animal. I cannot prescribe specific treatments. I am no longer very current with conventional treatments, so cannot answer questions on those. I am not an expert on birds or small critters. I am not an expert in breeding, birthing or babies.

I graduated from the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine in 1980 and began using homeopathy in my practice after a client introduced me to it. By 1988 I was using exclusively holistic treatments. I began lecturing in 1987 and have spoken at veterinary conferences, health food stores, people's homes, churches, veterinary college conferences - anywhere people want to learn more about keeping their animals healthy.

Academy of Veterinary Homeopathy (I helped found this one) American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association National Center for Homeopathy American Veterinary Medical Association

I have written in many magazines, journals and newspapers. A few include Bark Magazine; Journal of the AHVMA; Baltimore Dog Magazine; Whole Dog Journal; Tiger Tribe; Wolf Clan. I have also been frequently interviewed on radio and TV. I am Associate Editor for the Integrative Veterinary Care Journal, so often have articles there.

Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) Certified Veterinary Homeopath (CVH)