Ask the Veterinarian/Arthritis Treatment for Cat

Question
Hello Jana:  I have a 17 year old cat that started having difficulty laying down -- he would lay down very slowly as if he was in pain.  The vet said this might be caused by arthritis in the lower back, and she administered a butorphanol (opioid) injection for the arthritis pain.

For over a day (after the injection), the cat was very knocked out and disoriented.  He could hardly walk, and he would stare at the wall with his mouth open.  It took 3 days for him to completely recover.

Do you know if butorphanol is used in veterinary medicine for arthritis?  (The vet said that she normally gives steroid injections for arthritis, but it wouldn't be good for my cat because he has kidney disease).  Thank you.

Answer
Hi Alicia,

Finally have my phone and internet back up! I am so sorry for the delay.
To answer your question yes, it is used for pain management.  But your cat having kidney disease is probably why he was so disoriented and knocked out for 3 days.

Most pain medications are filtered and excreted through the kidneys and with compromised kidneys this would be difficult for him to do, thus the drug was in his bloodstream longer than normal and caused this issue.

It's a hard thing to manage a senior cat with both arthritis pain and kidney problems.

You might want to ask your vet about using some alternative pain relievers such as turmeric powder in his food. I use it for my back pain but I don't have bad kidneys- so it's imperative that you contact your vet first.

I don't know what the dose of this spice would be for a cat either, so again, ask your vet.
It may be a valuable alternative for pain management for your cat.

If you do, and it works, please let me know as I have a 14 yr old with it. Another option you have is to take him to a veterinary chiropractor or acupuncturist. There are many vets who practice both or one or the other and you can probably google one near you.

I hope you can find him some relief. Cats are masters at hiding pain of any type and so they won't let you know that their backs hurt.

I know the veterinary world is looking for more ways to help cats with pain. It's a tough situation and so often senior cats, pain and kidney disease go hand in hand.

Ask your vet about the above solutions but also to keep you updated on any new findings they have on pain+cats+kidney disease.

I hope your old boy feels better soon.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT