Ask the Veterinarian/Bumps under my dogs nose and lip

Question
Bumps
Bumps  
Hi! So after a weekend of dog parks and trails my dog (and being in contact with water from puddles/ponds) developed bumps under his nose and lip. We went to the vet and he was not sure what it was and said maybe it was mites or something. I think it itches him a little bit as I saw him rub his face on the carpet once. Anyways he's on antibiotics right now but I am just wondering what you think? Thank you!

He is a 4 year old bichon poodle

*sorry if I submitted this already I wasn't sure if my email worked *

Answer
There are many things it could be.  I would shave that area to get the hair off of it so I could see if there is an infected fold and so the skin can dry out. I would do a skin scraping to look for bacteria or yeasts.  Sometime we find mites there. If there are bacteria, then I might also do a bacterial culture. If there are no mites, I would use a steroid creme or a shot of a steroid in addition to an antibiotic to take the redness and itching away.  Often constant wet hair around the chin and lips can cause irritation, so keep that area as dry as possible.

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Louis N. Gotthelf