Ask the Veterinarian/eye issues in elderly cat cataracts ;

Question
Hi Marie, my 18 year old cat is having problems seeing, our vet said it is from cataracts and is pretty normal for a cat of that age; my question to you is , he seems to see distant objects just fine, but is bumping into close up items, and we have to literally put him on top of his food dish and then he homes in on it with his other senses.....he seems to be able to get around the yard because of its familiar to him, is there anything else we can do to help this old guy out? we love him to death and would not want him to suffer in any way, but are at the point where we need advice on handling his geriatric years...thank you!  Nick

Answer
I am so sorry that I did not see your question ;
Yes for cats with cataracts the NuVet Feline formula is amazing ..
Add this powder to the food 2 x per day ...
JUST add 1/4 teaspoon to each meal ...( mix well, it's tastless )  mix into some wet cat food or tuna

See here to order the NuVET Plus Feline  http://www.nuvet.com/81098

Also, you can add some colostrum powder to the diet daily -- look for it at GNC nutrition stores and follow the Directions for the Colostrum powder on the back of the bottle..  This is for humans but pets take it often ...

HOPE my suggestions help you ..

Marie Peppers
Ask the Pet nurse

mpmaltese@gmail.com  

Ask the Veterinarian

Marie Peppers LPNMA ( pet nurse)