Ask the Veterinarian/Pyometra concern

My cat is pregnant and just lost her mucous plug.  But in the past week, she's had a few incidents of scant, creamy yellow discharge appearing.  
I've just read about pyometra so of course, now I'm concerned.  The babies are active and I'm feeling formed lumps.  Mama is healthy, but small - 5 lbs before pregnancy, and less than a year old. She was relinquished to me from her owner when they learned she was pregnant. She also has untreated tapeworms.
Is there a chance she could have pyometra based on the earlier episodes of discharge?
Thank you so much!

Hi Rhonda,

What's most important here is how far along is she and do you have a vet on standby?

Is she is close to 63 days then she is close to giving birth. One way to tell for sure is to take her temperature for 3 days running. If it drops to 99 degrees from 101.5 (normal for cats) then her labor would start in 48-72 hours. When it's been 99 degrees for a couple of days in a row then then she will start labor in 24-48 hours.

Now most cats, even small, under age new moms, usually have no problems giving birth. She will only have 2-4 at most due to her size.

But because she is small, and the kittens might be large if there are only 3 or two, then they might get stuck and you will need to rush her to the vets or you stand to lose them all.

That's why you need a vet on call. I hope that she is currently vaccinated and on kitten food right now. She will need that for herself and for the milk.
Once the babies are weaned at 5-6 weeks old you can continue to feed them the kitten food and feed her a high quality adult food. She can be spayed when they are 3- 6 weeks old.

It's really rare for a cat to have a live litter and pyometra. Pyometra means the entire uterus is filled with pus, so there is no way kittens can be alive in that.

Cats will lose a few plugs when they get closer to birth. Their uterus's are shaped like a Tuning fork with the cervix and vagina the stem of the fork.

Call your vet and get them informed and ready and get a big box and fill it with sheets that have no rips or flannel pillow cases with no rips in them. Do not use towels. Threads from towns and ripped cloth can wrap around tiny toes and rip them off.

Good luck and let me know how she does. She is just adorable!!  

Ask the Veterinarian

Jana Connell RVT, CVT

PLEASE READ BEFORE SUBMITTING TO ME: I am NOT a vet and do NOT diagnose diseases. That is only for a licensed Veterinarian to do. I will give you suggestions and steer you toward calling your vet for help. You can call the vet's office and talk to the technician there or the vet at times. Don't be afraid to call them! If you have a serious issue with your pet please post it to one of the veterinarians in here- I will tell you the same thing in my answer. IF your pet is injured or in an emergency situation, CALL YOUR VET- Do not wait and post in here. Just call the vet's office and get them in to see the vet right away. Critical treatment time is lost if you seek answers here when you should have your precious pet at the vets!! Don't sit at home waiting for an answer when your pet is critically ill or injured!! I can answer most questions about small animal and wildlife care as well as small animal nutrition. I can also answer questions about all phases of dental care for small animals. I DO NOT answer questions about birds (unless it is wildlife or songbirds) or HAMSTERS/GERBILS/CHINS/GUINEA PIGS/REPTILES/FROGS/RABBITS/PET BIRDS OF ANY KIND so please submit these questions to the appropriate sections. I, as well as other experts in here, do NOT do homework questions- that is for YOU to do! Please respect these rules for all of us. Thanks!

I have over 35 years experience in the field of veterinary medicine. I specialized in small animals and did wildlife rehab for over 25 years, mostly raptors, squirrels and opossums. I am a Small Animal Nutritional Consultant with 6 certificates from Hills Pet Foods, CNM and Purina. I also specialized in Small Animal Dentistry which is a field I truly love.

Audubon,World Wildlife Federation, American Society of Veterinary Dental Technicians.

Licensed with California and Oregon, RVT and CVT. Certified Veterinary Dental Technician Have over 550 logged hours of Continuing Education Credits(that means I keep up to date!).

Nominated for Expert of the Month for the last 5 years.