Ask the Veterinarian/Toy poodle seizures

Question
Our toy poodle is about 9 years old. The first 6 years of her life she was overly loved and weighed nearly 15 pounds, never socially  interacted with other dogs, developed bad teeth and never went outside (even to go potty. When he owneer passed away we adopted her. She is now under 7 pounds, two teeth have been pulled and she is a very sweet dog. A few months ago she had three seizures. As far as we know they were all she had, till two days ago.

I am only working part time and have no credit card and none of the local vets will accept payments. What kind of cost am I looking at to find out what is causing the seizures? I have researched and know many of the reccamended tests but worry it is something I cannot afford. The vet office will not give me any kind of figure.

Answer
Bless you so much for adopting an older dog with issues. shame on your local veterinarians - that is despicable to not work with you financially. My apologies for my profession. When you say Washington, I am assuming you mean washington state, where there are some wonderful integrative vets who can help you.

When I only had my conventional veterinary training, I would often be very frustrated by seizure issues. The holistic philosophy has taught me that there is an underlying vibrational imbalance that causes most problems and the healing goal is to resolve that imbalance with treatments selected for that individual animal.  You do NOT NEED to spend a lot of money looking for the causes of the seizures. Most of them are "idiopathic epilepsy" meaning all the tests are negative and we do not know the cause, so we (conventionally) just give drugs to stop the seizures (and lower quality of life for many dogs). Holistically we have many treatments and do not need those expensive tests, at least at first. To better understand this perspective, read the first few chapters of Don Hamilton's Homeopathic Care of Cats and Dogs or the few pages in my book, the Healthy Animal's Journal. Now that the multitude of holistic modalities is available, I can tell you to never give up. Try one after the other, and record the changes with each. Contact me again if you need more support in building up health for your companion.

Very importantly, check to see if your electric company has changed your old “analog” electric meter (it has 4 little discs that spin and a man stops monthly to read it) for a “smart meter” or “digital meter” – looks like a computer. These can cause severe health problems or worsen current ones. Opt out of getting one.  www.stopsmartmeters.org  I have seen seizures from these.

Learn more:
Please go to my web site and sign up for the RSS feed and newsletter - www.ChristinaChambreau.com. You will get a FREE REPORT on how to prevent fleas and ticks, naturally.  

You have 3 major approaches:
1. Treat conventionally - no
2. Try some self healing treatments - yes
3. Begin now to work with an integrative veterinarian for the very best chance of health and long life. (See FIND AN INTEGRATIVE VETERINARIAN, below)

If you were trained in different healing modalities (see below - YOU BE THE HEALER) you could help (along with integrative vet care) by using Reiki, T-Touch, HTA, flower essences, acupressure, herbs, essential oils, supplements, homeopathy and more. I am giving multiple suggestions because only some may be available in your area, and each animal is unique, so what works with one does not work with all. This is the joy of holistic approaches - we have dozens of things to try, while conventional has merely a few.
1. Even before you are trained in Reiki, you can ask for this energy healing that cannot hurt and may help (See REIKI, below, for web sites to request healing). Once you are attuned, offer it daily to the whole house. I have seen seizures stopped by Reiki.
2. Flower essences are totally safe, so select one or more to try. At your  local pharmacy (maybe) or health food store (for sure) you can buy rescue remedy. This combination of Bach flowers can help with physical and emotional issues and I have seen it stop seizures each time they start. It does not cure the tendency, but can lessen the effects. Put 4 drops in one ounce of water and use it: in the mouth, rubbed on more hairless areas of the skin, on the paws, in a bowl of water in a room not near the drinking water. It can be given topically or orally as often as it seems to help.These flower essence companies have combinations for animals which may apply to your dog: SpiritEssences.com, Anaflora.com; GreenHopeEssences.com; petessence.com Many other companies like Bach with single remedies can help you select essences.  
3. Most importantly, change to a raw (or lightly cooked) meaty bone diet as this it is more digestible than any processed foods so builds up the immune system and does not have the chemicals that may trigger the seizures.  for a small dog like yours, it is SO EASY to merely incorporate her food into yours. Since you are $ limited, you are probably not buying organic free range meats for yourself, but for a small dog you can afford to do that (look for non GMO grain fed meat - meaning pasture only or find a deer hunter where deer are not eating chemical crops). More below.
4. Avoid all chemicals, especially give no vaccines until working with a GREAT holistic vet you feel good about. No flea/tick chemicals, no cleaning chemicals in the house.
5. Learn acupressure points (Schwartz - 4 paws, 5 directions; or Zidonas/Snow - acudog or google searches).

FIND AN INTEGRATIVE VETERINARIAN
All of the above may ameliorate the seizures but do not permanently stop them (unless it is the smart meter or chemicals in foods), so I strongly recommend finding an integrative veterinarian with whom to work. This is a person trained in many different approaches, including using conventional drugs only when absolutely needed. Working with one can increase the chance that your cherished companion can live a long and healthy life after recovering from this current problem. There are good ones and great ones, and a few homeopathic veterinarians will consult by phone or email (most are so happy in their life that they will work with you financially as well). You can go to the web sites for each type of holistic practice and use their referral list to find one near to you. Many practitioners are members of only one or two of the organizations, so you do need to go to every site to find who is near you:
1. Wide range of treatments: www.AHVMA.org, American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association and www.civtedu.org.   
2. Homeopathic veterinarians (these can often help you by phone if no other holistic practitioners are nearby that you like): www.theAVH.org and www.DrPitcairn.com;
3. Chiropractic and Osteopathic - www.animalchiropractic.org; http://equineosteopathy.org/ (they treat dogs, too)
4. TCVM (Acupuncture and Chinese medicine): www.IVAS.org, www.aava.org & www.TCVM.com
5. Herbal - www.VBMA.org
6. Postural rehabilitation – dogs and horses -http://www.posturalrehabvets.com/Postural_Rehabilitation/Find_a_Practitioner.htm

SELECTING AND WORKING WITH AN INTEGRATIVE VETERINARIAN

Just because they say they are holistic, or are listed in one of the above sites, they may be very conventional in their approach. Holistic medicine takes the perspective of treating the whole animal. Even if there is a current problem, for example diarrhea or itching, a good integrative veterinarian will ask questions about what problems there have been in the past, what changes in the household or the environment may have triggered the current complaint and if there is anything that makes the current complaints better or worse. They will also evaluate the overall energy level of the animal. Their goal is to make the animal healthier for life, not just to get rid of the current symptom. They will educate you and explain what they see when physically examining your animal.

Some of the modalities that integrative veterinarians may use in addition to conventional include acupuncture, herbs, flower essences, homeopathy, chiropractic, network chiropractic, nutrition, glandulars, Reiki, Tellington touch, healing touch, long distance healing modalities. Some of these have certification programs with a year or more of courses, exams and evaluation of clinical ability. Others are either self-taught or not regulated. Some individuals are wonderful with your animal -- others great at explaining to you what is happening with your animals. A few are good in both areas. Few veterinarians are perfect, and we all have bad days. Your animal should at least be comfortable with your choice and you should be able to get your questions and concerns addressed.

Once you have done the internet work suggested above, how do you select one to start with and then how do you know if you are getting good service and what can you do to help them help your animals?

Ask the veterinarian you are interested in:
1. Ask what modalities are used?
2. What is their training?
3. Is their goal overall health or to merely treat the current complaint? This may be the most important question.
4. What organizations they belong to & how recently have they gone to conferences or taught?  (Just because they belong to AHVMA, or AVH, does not mean they are trained or capable in those modalities.)

As she treats your animal, a good holistic veterinarian will usually:
1. Ask about the history, overall energy, what might have caused the current problem, the environment and what makes the symptoms better or worse.
2. Their physical exam will be gentle, complete and they will show you (you may need to ask) what they mean by “gingivitis, big lymph nodes, heart murmur”, etc.
3. They will be willing to answer your questions and explain why they are recommending a particular treatment.  
4. If they recommend conventional treatments (antibiotics, prednisone, etc.) they will explain to you why they choose this over holistic, and give you a chance to request the more holistic treatment.
5. They will not do anything (vaccinate, treat) without asking you first.
6. They will recommend fewer or no vaccinations and a raw meat or at least more holistic diet.
7. They will schedule follow up appointments until your animal is really healthy.
(See symptoms of chronic disease)

What you can do to help your holistic veterinarian
1. Keep a dated journal of any problems, even little ones.
2. Write down any treatments given.
3. Call if symptoms worsen, or they are less energetic and less happy, or you have concerns.

Many of these will help, too.
7 KEYS TO HEALTHY ANIMALS
1. Know the current level of health. Most health problems are the result of an underlying energy imbalance.  As we cure animals of "disease", we find that other things we thought were normal go away, so we can use these clues to know that animals are not healthy yet.  Your goal is for your animal to have great energy, no doggy odor, no hairball vomiting, little shedding, a glowing coat and many more. Below is a complete list of these signs (Early Warning Signs of Illness). In young animals, these apparently "normal" problems may be the only indications to start exploring new options for lifestyle or treatment.  Buy the Healthy Animal's Journal (www.HealthyAnimalsJournal.com) so you can see how these early warning symptoms and obvious ill symptoms change over time.  

2. Feed the best. What are the best diets for people or animals -- the most processed or the freshest, most organic?   The best ingredients should be the most consciously raised - local, organic vegetables, free ranging protein sources (critical for seizureing dogs and even avoid meat that was fed GMO crops like corn soy wheat). Dogs and cats have ripping and tearing teeth, bone crunching teeth, no digestive juices in the mouth, jaws that do not chew, a stomach full of acid where the food sits for 4-12 hours and a very short transit time in the intestines. Dogs and cats do not pull out a knife to de-bone their prey and do not pull out matches to light a fire to cook their meat and vegetables.

Therefore the best diet for dogs and cats is raw meat including raw bones, pureed raw and cooked vegetables and a few supplements (Calcium if no bones are eaten is critical). Grains are not good for most animals, but if there are none of the early warning signs (see below) and no illnesses, you can feed some grains, preferably the higher protein ones. Start as young kittens and puppies or at whatever age you read this (Brighthaven.org, a cat sanctuary switches 16 years old and older cats to raw meat diet and some have lived to 27 and 30, and now one to 35).

Second best is same quality, but cooked.  Even grocery store quality meat and vegetables are much better than most processed foods (true, but for a small dog with seizures - go for the super good local and save money by buying heart, lungs, tripe, giblets, etc). Processed foods are an effort for the food industry to use up its waste products except for a few companies with great motives (and even they sometimes get bad or inferior ingredients). Processed foods are also a problem for the environment - they are not sustainable.

Many dogs and cats need probiotics, especially if fed processed, dead foods. My current favorite is Mitomax (a little costly but worth trying one bottle). I have had many animals' minor health problems clear up while using this. Unlike other probiotics, it is very stable and is ok at the low stomach pH. Every animal needs and wants a different combination of foods and supplements at different times in their lives depending on different stressors and health challenges, just as we do.

With any food, observe each of your animals for the effect that food has on them and change if decreased energy or poor coat or other Early Warning Signs.  You can now buy many commercial raw meat diets but they are super expensive. You must research them as well. Ask where the ingredients are raised? Are chemicals used? Are the chickens, beef, pork, etc raised in humane ways, out in the sun to get the Vitamin D in the meat, etc? My favorite newest books to guide you are: Steve Brown’s Unlocking the Canine Ancestral Diet; Hofve and Yarnall’s the Paleodog; Becker and Taylor’s Dr. Becker’s real food for healthy dogs and cats; Taylor and Brown’s See spot Live Longer; and Basko’s Fresh food and Ancient Wisdom.

3. Vaccinate the least. In my opinion, vaccines have caused more harm to animals than anything else we have done - especially damage to nervous system. Do you get measles and mumps vaccines every year of your life? Researchers in conventional veterinary medicine agree that we vaccinate too often, in too many combinations, and that this level of vaccination, while preventing epidemics, is harmful to the health of susceptible animals.  On-going studies show that antibodies are high 10 and 16 years later for dog and cat distemper and dog Parvo so I recommend just a few baby shots and NO more. While Rabies is also a viral disease, you must follow the law, which is every 3 years.

To help prevent damage from the Rabies vaccine, or any others that are accidentally given, do the following. First, learn Reiki (see below) and hold the vaccine syringe in your hand until the "draw" is gone, then Reiki the injection site once you are in the car, then Reiki the whole animal daily until they do not "draw". If you have not yet learned Reiki, use the contacts below to have it done for your animal after the vaccine. For two weeks before and two weeks after, give the totally safe Vaccine Detox, a flower essence from www.SpiritEssences.com. Give triple the dose of calcium (or add some calcium) for 3 days before and 5 days after the vaccines. Dr. Peck is finding a drop in calcium at vaccination time. Then use the Early Warning signs, below, to see if further holistic treatment is needed if any of them appear or worsen. A wonderful list serve on vaccines, their harm and alternatives is at yahoo groups. To register, go to novaxk9s-subscribe@yahoogroups.com A great web site ishttp://vaccines.dogsadversereactions.com/

4. Use the fewest chemicals, remembering that there are chemicals in vaccines. Again this is especially important in seizures.  Dr. Pitcairn's Natural Health for dogs and cats is probably in your library, and he talks about seizures a lot. Each animal is an individual and will respond differently to heartworm, flea and tick preventatives. My kindle book, FLEAS BE GONE: a holistic veterinarian's guide to natural flea control will help you avoid these. Some are very sensitive to chemicals used in the yard or the house and in vaccines - they will become profoundly ill. Others will be triggered by these chemicals to just not have full health.  Chemicals in foods can cause allergic type reactions, so again feeding a fresh diet from local ingredients will be best. Healthy yards have lots of weeds. House cleaners can be made from foods and microfibril cloths clean like a charm. Healthy animals never get fleas and ticks

5. Understand how animals become ill and how they heal. First there is an energetic imbalance (they are just not right), then functional (the dog is itchy), then inflamed (skin is red, infected, swollen and hot) and finally tissue changes (thick, black skin). Results of any treatment can be no change, amelioration (current symptoms disappear with no other improvements, then return), suppression (current symptoms disappear and they become more ill) or a cure (everything about the animal to begins to improve, especially the overall energy level.)  
Keeping a journal is critical to determine what treatments are helping problems to become less frequent and less severe. You can stand firm with what you feel is working even if your professional disagrees and change approaches when needed. You can create your own using a three ring binder, a notebook, a calendar. Be sure to have a master symptom list, pages where you list treatments you have started or been given, and pages where you make daily or frequent entries about every symptom on the master symptom list, especially including the overall energy level, emotional state and new changes. Some people have found my book makes it easier.
http://christinachambreau.com/bookstore/healthy-animal-journal/healthy-dog-journ is a great one to use in print or e-version is available.  

6. YOU BE THE HEALER.  I strongly recommend getting some training in understanding the wide range of approaches to health so you can be in charge of what you choose for treatments for your animals. There are so many different ways to stimulate healing that you never need to give up trying. From books, on-line and in classes you can learn Reiki (which can take the "bad" out of vaccines and any needed drugs, or even make food healthier), massage, HTA, TTouch, acupressure, flower essence therapy, all of which are 100% safe to use for any problems. There are many more approaches you can do to help heal your animals with some training since they need to be used more carefully - homeopathy, herbal medicine, Chinese herbs, aromatherapy. In addition to classes there are many very good list serves filled with people experienced with not vaccinating and feeding raw meat diets. Classes are found through your health food store, by phone or on-line. As with human health approaches, there are many different opinions, so you need to experiment and see what makes your animals more or less healthy.

7. Select the best healers for each animal's health team. Most people want a veterinarian (preferably integrative) and an energy healer. You decide what needs to be tried next for your animal. When you realize the animal is not improving – seek different care. Use conventional veterinarians for diagnosis and emergency treatment, or if other methods are not working. Again, integrative veterinarians (see above) will be able to do both, and have the philosophical understanding of the vibrational causes of illness.

Learn more and more
Every Thursday from 12-1 Dr. Jeff Feinman and myself host a talk at www.BLAB.IM
  If you sign up here you will get a weekly reminder - and know when we change the time to help people come during lunch.
https://blab.im/dr-jeff-feinman-do-no-harm-care-for-your-pets-holistically-with-drs-jeff-and-christina-1

Every 2nd and last Monday Animal Wellness Magazine and I host a facebook chat  
from 2-3 Eastern.

Books – I have books with comments listed - (www.MyHealthyAnimal.com) SITE CURRENTLY HACKED (2/2/16 - check weekly)
Classes – I teach many different classes. The best way to find them is to subscribe to My RSS feed on my site (click on RSS on any page) and the newsletter.
Email me if you wish to host a class in your town or on the internet. HealthyAnimals@aol.com
Magazines - Animal Wellness Magazine – use ccdvm code when you subscribe (and Feline and Equine Wellness, too).  
Whole Dog Journal and Dogs Naturally Magazine (they have webinars on raw feeding that are excellent), too.
Internet – over 50 shows archived–
        http://www.homeopathyworldcommunity.com/page/drchristinachambreau
Search online for the many other classes and lectures available for the  
Most skills in classes about health approaches for people can be extrapolated to animals. The acupressure points are the same, remedies are used the same way, Reiki is good for everything, etc.

I also do Pet Health Coaching to help you learn about the current health issues, what you can do at home to build health and save money, and I match you up with the veterinarian we think would be best.

Good Health for your pet, Dr. Chambreau

REIKI:
Personally, I think every person who lives with or works with animals must know at least Level I Reiki. The practitioner offers this energy and the animal comes over to get it (or places her hands upon the animal), or it can be done from a distance, even around the world with the intent for healing to occur. The energy flows through the healer into the animal. This is based on directly applying Chi (energy) to rebalance the energy field so it no longer needs to produce the physical symptoms. It is a very good adjunct to any healing modality, especially to relieve pain and inflammation. I have seen cats who began to eat again when their food was treated with Reiki. It also "takes the bad out of" things. By doing Reiki on smelly water in restaurants I have been able to drink sweet tasting and smelling water. Use Reiki anytime that you must give injections, vaccines, drugs, flea or heartworm drugs, or other substances with potential toxicity. Reiki is great to calm animals, relieve discomfort, and can deeply heal some problems in some animals.  

1. Great information on Reiki - http://www.reikicourse.org.
2. Kathleen Prasad is a wonderful teacher and works with my favorite sanctuary and holistic education center, BrightHaven www.brighthaven.org. Kathleen leads a free monthly telechat for anyone trained in Reiki and using it with animals.http://www.animalreikisource.com/.

3. If you cannot find a Reiki Class near you (same class for people and animals as it connects you through an "attunement" to the healing energy of the universe, making you a channel of healing), the following groups offer long distance, free, attunements.

a. http://theholisticcare.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13,
b. http://freereikiattunement.com/
c. Christine at cbearse@earthlink.net, www.awakeningrainbows.com. To receive free distance Reiki send her your first name only, city and state, and whether or not you have had any Reiki training.  She invites you to include your pets as well.  She uses a teddy bear and does a full body Reiki distance treatment for one hour each Sunday evening from 9 p.m. until 10 p.m. EST.
d. And a team of over 100 healers will send free healing energy until you say not to. Email Barbara at nancelot01@aol.com with your healing request, name of animal, species, color & age. In the subject say request through Dr. Chambreau

4. for a fee:
Excellent recommendation in 2015 - http://reikishamanic.com/
www.ReikiBlessings.com offers many types of energy healing classes- search a bit to find the reiki ones or email them. Long distance healing and training is at www.animalhealers.homestead.com.
5. Get a free treatment for yourself at www.interdimensionalhealing.com.

Another wonderful healer, Deena Spears works long distance with Sound Tuning. www.Singingwoods.com. I have seen many animals and the people in a home be healed by her work.

LISTS SERVES TO HELP YOU LEARN TO FEED THE BEST -
From the folks that brought us Jstsayno2vaccs is a new site for raw feeding - excellent -http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/rawk9s/  Here is what they say, “Lastly, we saw a need for a beginner's raw feeding group. Many of the raw feeding groups have grown very large and often new people are lost in the shuffle. In addition, some raw feeding groups are specialized to one type of feeding only. We believe that feeding raw is the first step in whole health and have tried to create an environment of learning and support where there are no dumb questions and everyone gets individual attention. With that in mind Kathleen recently instituted a mentoring program where mentor's sign up to help individuals, and new folks can opt into the program and receive private help in their journey. It has been a huge success.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aunaturelK9 - the above groups breeding web site. Excellent.

EARLY WARNING SIGNS OF ILLNESS FOR DOGS AND CATS

1. Is your companion really healthy?
2. Can you tell if the treatment you selected is deeply curing?
3. Can your companion be healthier than you realize?
YES - read on and evaluate your animal for true health.

Most health problems are the result of an underlying energy imbalance, made worse from poor diet and vaccination.  They are rarely acute diseases (except injuries). Therefore, you may find that the problem does not clear up as you expect or it recurs. If so, you are dealing with an underlying predisposition to illness, and these clues to underlying ill health will help you select a remedy and monitor the results.  As we cure animals of "disease", we find that certain other "NORMAL" things go away, too.  Do not be satisfied until most of the following symptoms are gone.  In young, apparently healthy animals, these apparently "normal" problems may be the only indications to start treatment. This is only the beginning of a list - as more animals are cured we will find new levels of health. Tracking these is easy when you use the Healthy Animal's Journal by Dr. Christina Chambreau (www.HealthyAnimalsJournal.com)
SKIN: doggy smell; attracts fleas a lot; dry, oily, lack-luster coat;
excessive shedding; not grooming,    ear problems - waxy, oily, itchy, recurrent mites; eye discharge, tearing, or matter in corner of eyes; raised third eyelid; spots appearing on iris; "freckles" appearing on face; whiskers falling out; fragile, thickened, distorted claws that are painful or sensitive to trim.
BEHAVIOR: Fears(of loud noises, thunder, wind, people, animals, life); too timid; too rough or aggressive (even at play); too hard to train; barks too much and too long; suspicious nature; biting    when petted too long; hysteria when restrained; clumsy; indolent; licking or sucking things or people too much; not using litter box or not covering stool.
DIGESTIVE: Bad breath; tarter accumulation; loss of teeth; poor appetite; craving weird things(rubber    bands, plastic, dirt, cat litter, paper, dogs eating dog or cat stools, rocks, sticks...); sensitivity to milk;    thirst - a super healthy cat on non dry food will drink at most once a week; red gum line; vomiting often, even hairballs more than a few times a year; mucous on stools; tendency to diarrhea with least    change of diet; obesity;  anal gland problems; recurrent parasites.
STIFFNESS when getting up, early hip dysplasia; tires easily in hot or cold weather; can no longer jump up on counters, or go up or down steps.
TEMPERATURE: Low grade fevers - Normal for healthy cats and dogs is
100-101.5.
AGE & REPRODUCTION: Should live a long life (Shepards 17 years, Danes 12, cats 24). should be able    conceive easily, deliver normally, and not pass on "genetic breed" problems.

Like you, many people are having trouble with money right now and yet they have animals who are dependent on them. First, you can save money by doing no vaccines after baby shots except for Rabies. Second you can spend the time to find inexpensive sources of raw meat, fish, eggs and dairy which will build healthy animals. Third, find an integrative veterinarian who is willing to barter (may take calling several to find one willing) and a local, hands on clinic (may be the same one or not) where you can volunteer to trade your skills or labor for something they need. Fourth, start a savings account, even a small one of pennies at first, so you have money when needed. Fifth, go to the library to find books on holistic healing of animals.

What skills do you have? Can you clean their parking lot, sidewalk, clinic? Are you a bookkeeper or accountant? Are you great with the internet and able to help them build a web site? Could you get new clients for them? Call the veterinarian of your choice (especially an integrative one), ask to speak with the veterinarian and tell them your financial situation.  Ask if they will take payment plans and think what you could offer as collateral. Ask if the clinic has its own fund to help those in need. Call multiple veterinarians, especially integrative clinics.  

The following are possibly some sources of finances for you.

https://redrover.org/find-financial-assistance-veterinary-care
https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/general-pet-care/low-cost-spayneuter-programs
http://www.petsandanimals.org/spayneuter_services.html

FINANCIAL RESOURCES for animals

1. For IMOM.org ( In Memory of Magic)

In Memory of Magic (IMOM)
Helping people help pets. To better the lives of sick, injured and
abused companion animals. Dedicated to insure that no companion
animal has to be euthanized simply because their caretaker is
financially challenged.
http://www.imom.org/

The following instructions are for gen emergency funds ( also for cancer)

Just fill out the general fund application and submit it.Go to the main page, click on
financial aid then scroll down to the bottom and click on Getting Started,
read all the information there and make sure you copy the intro letter and
contact your vet for them to fax their estimate to them, then click on IMOM
policies at the bottom and then on the next screen at the bottom click on
General Emergency funds and the application will come up.

2. For fveap

Feline Veterinary Emergency Assistance
Provides financial assistance to cat and kitten guardians who are
unable to afford veterinary services to save their companions when
life-threatening illness or injury strikes.
http://www.fveap.org

http://www.fveap.org/sys-tmpl/door/
"Seniors, People with disabilities, People who have lost their job,
Good Samaritans who rescue a cat or kitten - any of these folks may
need financial assistance to save a beloved companion.
The Feline Veterinary Emergency Assistance Program is a nonprofit
501
(c)(3) organization that provides financial assistance to cat and
kitten guardians who are unable to afford veterinary services to
save
their companions when life-threatening illness or injury strikes."

3. A credit card- you will have to look it up on line- I think Carecredit.com? See below. You
do not have to qualify as being in need - just apply. Sometimes your vet may already have
the info.

"Care Credit"--they
offer promotional things such as 0% interest on large vet purchases and it takes about 2
minutes to apply for it.

It's called Care Credit, and their website is here:
http://www.carecredit.com/patients/whatis.htm

http://www.carecredit.com/practices/veterinary/

Care Credit
CareCredit, offers interest free loan plans (for a specified
timeframe) with a low monthly payment for Veterinary Medicine. These
plans can be very helpful and are much lower in cost than credit
cards, bank loans, etc.
http://www.carecredit.com

4. http://www.help-a-pet.org/home.html
Help-A-Pet
A nonprofit organization which provides financial assistance for the
medical care of pets whose owners are unable to afford the expense.
http://www.help-a-pet.org
630-986-9504

5. www.uan.org

6. LifeLine/LifeLine Rescue by United Animal Nations
Aids companion animals in times of life-threatening emergencies when
their caregivers, with low or no incomes, are unable to afford the
entire cost of treatment
http://www.uan.org/lifeline/index.html

7. New York Save
NY S.A.V.E, Inc., is a non-profit organization dedicated to the aid
and assistance of low-income pet owners residing in one of the five
boroughs of New York City, whose pet is in need of emergency
veterinary care
http://nysave.org

8. PAWS
PAWS provides comprehensive pet-related services to support persons
in San Francisco who are maintaining the guardianship and the love
of companion animals assisting low-income San Francisco residents
living with AIDS or disabling HIV, and people with other disabling
illnesses.
http://www.pawssf.org

9. What You Can Do If You Are Having Trouble Affording Veterinary Care
An article of suggestions from The Humane Society (You may need to
copy each line of this link separately into your browser address
window.)
http://www.hsus.org/ace/Article_Printer_Friendly?Content_ID=11875

Suggestions for coping with high veterinarian bills
Very similar article to the Humane Society, but a few different
suggestions are included (You may need to copy each line of this
link separately into your browser address window.)

http://www.penmarric.ns.ca/catcare/usefulinfo/vetbills.htm

10. This website may be helpful for someone: http://www.saveuspets.org/

The Save U.S. Pets Foundation is dedicated to providing financial
assistance for pets to receive lifesaving medical treatments when their
human companions are unable to afford professional care. Through a
participating veterinarian, pet owners whose circumstances meet Save
U.S. Pets Foundation criteria are eligible for a grant that will enable
their pets to receive desperately needed medical help

11. Vet have to apply for this fund.
www.aaahelpingpets.org

12. Most grants are capped at $500 from The Pet Fund
www.ThePetFund
tel 914-443-6007

13. Cats in Crisis gives grants and also caretakers can fund rasie on their site
www.catsincrisis.org

14. In Northern Nevada and Lake Tahoe area
www.ShakespeareAnimalFund.org

15.In Ontario Canada
www.farleyfoundation.org

16. In Vermont- Veterinary efforts in Giving to Animals
www.vetega.org

Ask you own vet about similar funds

17.www.all-creatures.org.  

Ask the Veterinarian

Dr. Christina Chambreau